Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bux, Trico
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:26 am 

Y'all OK? I see you got a lot of rain and a lot of people lost power.

Post subject: Re: Bux, Trico
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:31 pm 

Squire,
If memory serves, I lost power about twelve years ago .... but I can't rightfully recall the circumstances. That said, Hurricane what'sits name, brought us a whole lot of rain and a good bit of wind - it's still raining right now (1700 Sat.). I was hoping that an old tree out front would fall over and become the town's worry rather than mine.
The woman that lives here decided this was a dandy time to clog up the kitchen sink...just got the line cleared with some glop called "Liquid Plumber" - do you notice that they never tell you about "slow" draining? It has to become completely clogged.
The good news is that the hurricane caused neither damage nor inconvenience.
....now, if I just remember where I put the scotch bottle.... :? :? :?

Bux

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:04 am 

Bob's fine. Quote

"Totally out of the cone. All we got was wind to 15 mph with a gust or two to 20-25 mph. May get a rain shower much later today. Wondering how Ed made out in Charlotte. I know he went out To stock up on wine in time, but not sure about the rain. Anyway, thanks for asking. And Colston, too!"

I told him that Ed got some rain and an unrelated clogged drain.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:03 pm 

It's now 1700 on Sunday, 9/16 and it is still pouring outside....the backyard is a marshland but without ducks. The word is that we should expect more rain through the next 12 hours...they think the rain will stop tomorrow A.M.
The next town just south of us has declared a curfew and told everyone to "go home and stay there, until further notice." Thank goodness I restocked last week. ;) :D
Bux

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:09 am 

The big storm is now history, but it is still cloudy and damp - not to mention the new bog aka our back yard.
They are calling this the "1,000 year storm." Evidently, this has never happened before - all of the factors of a major tornado/hurricane coming in from the ocean, bearing huge quantities of water and slow movement of counter-clockwise flow (the right side of the storm) bearing not just wind, but a huge volume of water. Since the movement was slow, the rain created a flooding not seen before.
Charlotte was lucky, we got the water volumes but not the high winds that hit early on towards the ocean.
Bux

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:43 am 

Since they only started keeping records of any reliability in 1890, and given that weather men have the science training of a drive-thru teller, I wouldn't put much stock in the 1,000 year storm bull. The winds are never what kill people anyway (other than down trees). It's the flooding that kills folks.

I'm glad you made it with no big trees harming your home. Your dog is just hoping to go muddy up that bog.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:56 pm 

Doug G wrote:
Since they only started keeping records of any reliability in 1890, and given that weather men have the science training of a drive-thru teller, I wouldn't put much stock in the 1,000 year storm bull.

There's no drama, ratings of website hits in 36 pt. bold type proclaiming,

"128 year storm!"

...and most people are not inclined to use critical thinking about things anyway...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:18 pm 

I'm waiting to hear the news about all the hog farms that have waste lagoons that have dumped into the flooded rivers.

The state of North Carolina really should enforce environmental regulations. But they won't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:37 pm 

Doug G wrote:
I'm waiting to hear the news about all the hog farms that have waste lagoons that have dumped into the flooded rivers.

The state of North Carolina really should enforce environmental regulations. But they won't.

Neither will WI.

More later, when I'm at a real keyboard.