Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:23 am 

Headlines, relative to the Hurricane:

Hurricane Florence's Rainfall to Trigger Natural Disaster.

Stranded residents are being urged to seek higher ground immediately as they await rescue.

Florence makes landfall at Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina, as life-threatening flooding, 400,000 power outages unfold.

1) Natural Disaster? the first line in the article said "may," yet the headline is declarative. Want to know why so many people think Global Warming Advocates are just Alarmist? Because of this. For days, we've been hearing about a Category 3 and 4 storm, that's turned out to be a 1 or 2. That's not enough to scare us. Now it's Massive Flooding! Flooding of an extent not seen since that Flood took Mary Jo Kopechne out of Ted Kennedy's arms.

2) Life-threatening? stranded? power outages? Why would any of that matter. Those people were supposed to evacuate. They were told to evacuate. They chose to stay. They put themselves in the situation. The headline ought to say "Thousands Ignore Warnings. Governor Declares No Rescue until Waters Recede; First Responders' lives will not be risked over people who ignore evacuation orders."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:40 am 

Or how about the weather personnel, scattered hither and yon, who brave the elements in their storm gear, while hanging on to a tree, and shouting into a microphone rendering an unintelligible report.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:46 am 

Amen. A part of me, the unChristian part, looks sort of hopefully at the "extreme meterologist" who is staggering before the mighty wind, hoping that a giant wave will take him or her away, or that they be sucked into a drain.

But then I think about what a hero that person would be proclaimed and how Donald Trump would be blamed and it would be because of Global Warming.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:02 pm 

C'mon, now. Dan Rather made first big break reporting on some storm in Texas.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 pm 

I'm with you Doug, particularly on your 2nd point.

With 20/20 hindsight, unplugging from "the news" was one of the best decisions I've made in my life. It's right up there with marrying my wife, getting out of the city and moving up north.

It pretty quickly led to killing cable TV, because you can't watch a show without some opinionated cretin with perfect hair and teeth jumping in with a mid-show update on something, and from there to a subscription to Sirius Radio so I didn't have to listen to the inter-song howling of both "news" and advertisements.

I think I commented on it not long ago: I cannot honestly recall the last time I saw a commercial. It has been 10 years since I heard a character assassination disguised as political "advertisement".

Someone is bound to ask, "But then how do you stay informed?"

Anyone who think "the news" is keeping them informed hasn't stepped back nd taken an objective look at the trash the passed for news shoveled on people these days.

Anyone with a moderate level of intellectual curiosity, a computer and a reasonable filter can get all they need to stay informed without all the static and noise, bias, and self involvement our "news" has become.

"News" has an off switch, and flipping it was a great decision for our family.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:27 pm 

I'm with you, FN. My mind's made up and I don't want to be confused with facts, real or fake.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:32 pm 

Colston Newton wrote:
I'm with you, FN. My mind's made up and I don't want to be confused with facts, real or fake.

:D

My mind's not made up...but I often don't care... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:41 am 

Doug, here's another data point for you:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/15/we ... d-him.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:43 pm 

How bad was some of the hype by the news? This bad...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/15/weather-channel-defends-reporter-captured-swaying-in-florence-winds-as-2-people-walk-behind-him.html