Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Interesting encounter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:07 pm 

I was out yesterday evening scouting a local lake (Davis Lake) for some places to fly fish for Largemouths. The lake is loaded with bass, has a fair population of Kokanee Salmon and some really big Rainbows. Short story I did not have my wading boots, still sitting on my boat deck, and wading without them is hard on stocking foot waders. I would have wet waded but I had on nice shoes and there are a lot of leeches in the lake. So I just walked the shoreline, getting about a half mile from the car. I was using binoculars to check weed beds and while concentrating I hear a funny sound. I slowly turned my head and five Elk were getting up from their beds about 50 yards away. One of them was a spike bull which is legal here and my first preference if I want to shoot a bull. I just stood still as the bunch headed southeast from me towards the lakeshore. I started back to the car moving slowly and they didn’t seem concerned. In about three weeks I’m going to be there bright and early to see if that fat tender boy is still around. I am currently archery hunting a BIG 5X5 Mulie buck with 3” eye guards. I fear his hunter wise knowledge may easily out do my pitiful effort to waylay him. It’s a four mile hike back into his country, none of it easy, and I’m having a ball. Did have a black bear with 25 yards but I’ve eating bear in every way it can be cooked and it just isn’t for me. Fishing Friday evening, report will follow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:31 pm 

Dang Charlie...sorry you've got it so rough lately. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 pm 

Charlie, I'm with you. Bear is something I've eaten,but not liked. Raccoon the same way. Luckily, I've not been so hungry that I've had to eat it.

May you catch more fish than you want.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:12 am 

Wow Charlie, sounds like you live in heaven. I've had to give up deer hunting for loss of a place to hunt. Everybody who has enough property to hunt either hunts it themselves or leases it for more money than seems appropriate for hunting deer. Good luck and straight shooting to ya.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 am 

I once trapped an opossum. My dad recalled that, "The people down South eat 'possums."
He talked mom and I into stuffing the 'possum just like it was a turkey.
It came out of the oven and immediately smelled up the entire kitchen...the stench stayed around for a couple of days. Mom had to wash the curtains twice. "Southern Cooking" be damned...I don't know how even southerners could eat "possums".
I 'spose Douglas or Gene can clarify that there was a great way to prepare "possum" for the table.
Bux

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:04 am 

You have to feed possums out for at least a week before slaughtering them. Otherwise they will be foul.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:02 pm 

my father told me how they ate possums. They'd put them in a cage in the barn and feed them sorghum for a month. The sorghum would purge the nasties out of them and then would sweeten them up. I imagine you could about make anything taste good if you fed it nothing but sorghum for a month.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:29 pm 

Well, if anyone should ask, I'll now be able to give them some general advice on the established Georgian preparations required before serving them.
One of the 'possums had 4 tiny newborns in her pouch - tiny, hairless pink things...must have been a few weeks old, if that. That's when I quit trapping where possums were likely to be found. Bux

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:34 pm 

Tennessee used to have a license plate that read "Eat more possum." (Not sure it really meant the marsupial.)

Eating possum is a sure sign of being damned hungry.

Old Carter Arnest once told me a buzzard would be good if you fed it corn for a month.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:18 pm 

I shall read no more of your posts Gene. I can't take the envy.