Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:28 am 

Our daughter, knowing that both her parents drink coffee every day, but do not agree with a single type or brand....gifted us with a new Keurig coffee maker - it makes one cup at a time.
I've already figured that the expensive little "cartridges" can easily provide two cups of good black coffee and a third one if you don't mind it lighter...and drink it black.
Here's the question: What brands have you discovered that can provide the best deep, rich black coffee. The one that you can almost stand a spoon up in it. I've tried a half dozen brands, but none have provided the black coffee that Doug and I can make with regular ground coffee. Anything weaker than French seems dish-watery.
Any Keuric cup suppliers out there that you'd recommend?

Bux

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:56 am 

I'm far from an authority on "good coffee",but I do know they make a re-fillable cartridge for use in the keurigs.You can use your favorite ground coffee and experiment with the dosage.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:54 pm 

Have you ever tried Community Coffee?
https://www.communitycoffee.com/product ... s-12-count

Brad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:10 pm 

My Kurig wouldn't make the coffee hot enough, so I ditched it and got a Mr. Coffee, or something like that. The carafe' heat is adjustable.

I used it with Starbucks French Roast. I still use that brand, but more than 1 cup at a time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:19 pm 

I picked up a Keurig at a church thrift shop. Couldn't figure out how to make it work and dumped it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:44 pm 

Squire,

If you still have the unit lying around, I'll send you a set of instructions. It's really quite... :oops: ...never mind.... I keep forgetting that you went to W & M and then on to their Law branch....where it would of course be assumed that morning Java was the Help's responsibility. Bux

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:55 pm 

Costco sells Peets Major Dickinson. Eight Oclocks Ialian roast is pretty good, not as good as Peets, but good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:25 pm 

Give Gevalia a try.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:36 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
Squire,

If you still have the unit lying around, I'll send you a set of instructions. It's really quite... :oops: ...never mind.... I keep forgetting that you went to W & M and then on to their Law branch....where it would of course be assumed that morning Java was the Help's responsibility. Bux

I'm currently reading Lynne Cheney's bio of James Madison. He chose Princeton over William And Mary, the traditional choice of Virginia gentry, because of reports "of rioting, drinking, and all night card games" at W & M . Wondering if that reputation ever changed.

As for the topic look up blackriflecoffee.com small batch coffee roasted to order.

New England coffee may be available in your area on shelves.

Wade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:09 pm 

Use the refillable basket, fill to brim with darkest, heaviest coffee you can get (I keep some Eight O'Clock espresso for that purpose) and use the smallest cup setting. Repeat with fresh grounds to keep the strength up.