Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:46 pm 

I was in the shower when the lights went out. I had to towel off in the dark, and lost my balance getting out of the shower, and staggered to my knees on the tile. I waited about five minutes and finally figured out the lights were out for an expanded time. You have no idea how dark it can be until you're in a small room and there is no lights in the neighborhood to give ambient light. I have never seen it so dark, and that's no exaggeration. I couldn't see my hand before my eyes...how many times have you heard that and it wasn't true...it was black dark.

I immediately became disoriented. I eventually scooted around and was able to find my bed, but was kinda afraid to stand up, but was able to grab a pillow, so I decided to wait it out on the floor. Maybe catch a nap.

I found out that orientation depends a lot on vision. Somehow, I scooted around 360 degrees from my bed and was back in the bathroom. Luckily,, since I had to pee. I was able to feel my way to the commode and sit down, which now meant much of my anxiety was off me.

Either I was becoming accustomed to the darkness visually, or my orientation was better, but I eventually made it back to my bed and lay down to sleep.

Then the lights came back on. Thank God I'm not claustrophobic.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:52 am 

I feel for you Gene! Since my feet no longer feel the ground and I have a very bad sense of balance, total darkness is extremely scary to me. I've given up all pride and now use a walker outside after dark. I recently had a flashlight go dead while in need of it inside and ended up with a hard fall to the floor and some spectacular bruises due to the fall and my blood thinner meds.

Glad you made it through.

Just keep repeating: getting old is no damn fun, but sure beats the alternative!

Brad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:54 am 

Years back when the electricity might be regularly interrupted by storms, accidents and such, it was a practice to keep flashlights stowed/stored in easy to reach places. We even kept fresh candles in their holders in key locations. On "the farm", we had a number of candle-lit dinners every summer during the storm season. Oddly, the dogs never got used to the practice...but they stayed under tables and chairs during storms....and they were the first warning that a storm was coming - they got "spooky", paced around, brushed up against us and sought cover under the furniture.

Gene, maybe you should get a dog, a half dozen flashlights and some candles with candelabras....and keep matches handy to each. Just as basic, make sure you have a non-slip mat stuck to the bottom of the tub as well as "handle-bars"....sturdy towel bars mounted to the studs (not just the tile, plaster or sheet rock) will also keep you safer. Being careful is not "unmanly", it is worthwhile protective behavior.

Hope you are OK by now, Bux

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:01 am 

Good grief, from a 0-3 combat vet grunt no less.

The lights go out for two hours.

Seems Millenials aren't the only ones who have trouble when technology fails them.

Carry on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:43 am 

.I've never been in a darker place. Midnight in a rubber plantation comes close.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:02 am 

Do you have a flashlight around? Candles? Cell phone light?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:45 pm 

I've got a flash light and a cell phone flash, but they weren't around my bathroom and I couldn't have found a match even if I'd had one. It was darkness you couldn't believe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:00 pm 

Gene,

All of these proffered afterthoughts are well meant, but why not take steps that it doesn't happen again.
You could have damaged far more than your "ego". Go get the extra flash lights, put in new batteries, and start placing them in easy to find locations...make a few dry runs...that will bolster your confidence for sure.
The simplest way to avoid having this stumbling about is to only take your showers during the daylight hours.
There are "nightlights" that you just plug into the outlet - they glow... so as not to disturb sleep or travel but, they provide enough light for safety.
When I was "on the road" I always left a dimmed light on so I could find the john's location and the exit door....They were different every night. Bux

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:21 pm 

" I always left a dimmed light on so I could find the john's location and the exit door...."

Something I didn't learn until late in life to my regret on several occasions..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:41 pm 

"There are "nightlights" that you just plug into the outlet - they glow... so as not to disturb sleep or travel but, they provide enough light for safety".
Not a bad idea,except that they dont glow very good when the power goes out.