Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:51 pm 

The local lakes, excepting just a couple are too warm to fish, in my opinion. My favorite lake, Crane Prairie reservoir was 72 degrees six feet down in the water column. Many of the fish here are 20” or better and will come up from the bottom to take a fly. The deepest parts of the lake are max 16-18 feet. There are springs around which the fish will congregate and streams emptying into the lake also bring in cooler water. That said, even playing a good fish hard still taxes them and leaves them very weakened after a fight. In the last several weeks I have been concentrating on Kokanee Salmon to take home for dinner, or black bass on a couple of the lakes.

A friend told me to try East Lake using a technique new to me. East Lake is deeper than most the other lakes in the area, and was formed by a huge volcano that erupted many years ago. I was advised to fish an intermediate line, a 5x tippet leader, and a Callibaetis nymph, making a fairly long cast upwind
and letting the wind push the boat along. Water fished was 25+ feet up to about 15-18’. It worked. I will have to give this a shot with different flies although the Callibaetis hatch on this lake is epic. More info as I get better at it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:48 am 

Thanks for that report!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:09 pm 

Thank you for the tip, Charlie. I've never done that either.

John