Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fishing Report
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:56 pm 

Made it out this afternoon for the first time in a month (lotsa reasons why that I won't bore you with.)

Picked up a little bass on my third cast, and a nice 18" on the first cast ten minutes later with a different fly...then...nothing.

Weather was decent upper 70s, dry-ish, wind out of the north most of the day. I heard a rumor that there were three clouds somewhere...but they didn't put in an appearance.

Three positives for the day:

1) Cupid has taken her rightful spot as Familiy Fishing Dog in the Absence of Spike-The-Damp. She did a good job defending the boat from pirates, loons and a family of ducks, sniffed the bass, traded barks with an on-shore Labrador Deciever and only "fell" off the boat once. She'll get better at that last bit...has to learn some things by doing...
2) I am really loving the new Orvis Helios 3F/Lamson Force SL/Rio Single Handed Spey set up. At this point I am willing to concede that the accuracy claims are not marketing hype, at least for me.
3) The TFO Axiom II/Lamson Litespeed/Rio Single Handed Spey 3D is almost as good as the Helios, for me...and it's got the harder job of chucking subsurface flies and a sinking line.

Post subject: Re: Fishing Report
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:17 am 

You are never alone when your dog is along. That said, they may attempt to help land fish, forgetting that sharp teeth, hooks and fins are involved.
Bux

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:58 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
You are never alone when your dog is along. That said, they may attempt to help land fish, forgetting that sharp teeth, hooks and fins are involved.
Bux

...and that's just on the fish...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:22 am 

Great to hear you finally broke a drought FN. Not into spey casting myself but I know a couple who are and they love it. Looks like I might be able to get out for the first time in about a month tomorrow. Hope I have as good a time as you did.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:33 am 

mls wrote:
Great to hear you finally broke a drought FN. Not into spey casting myself but I know a couple who are and they love it. Looks like I might be able to get out for the first time in about a month tomorrow. Hope I have as good a time as you did.

I hope you have fun too!

The Rio Single Handed Spey lines aren't realy for spey casting, though you can do that if you want. They also work fine as overhead casting line (gotta keep the line speed up, but that's easily done with a forward haul), and they work really, really well for roll casts.

Good distance without much work, I really like them!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:54 pm 

Regarding Spey Casting. The Ghillies in Scotland were all-over teaching every fisher to Spey-cast...personally, I think they considered it as a mandatory tradition. I'll grant it helps when you have too much line out and it will take a couple of Spey casts to get your fly upstream far enough for the next drift. It seemed to me to be too much work. Stripping in enough line to manage the next cast...and then feeding out the extra line works as well as the two-handed laborious double roll cast upstream. Using anything less than a 14' to 16' rod turns the whole process into drudgery....ahhh, but it is our Tradition" sir. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:13 am 

Bux, you have obviously never spent much time with a spey rod in your hands. I find the action of spey casting to be quite easy as opposed to laborious. When one can make an easy cast across stream and move 80-90 feet of line I'm not sure how one would call it laborious. About 10 minutes of practice gets you in a position to cover 2-3 times the water in every drift compared with traditional casting. Yes there are casters who can move 80 feet of line with a single hand rod, but they're hauling and working their arms hard to do it. With a spey rod it's a simple snap-t and single spey. I love it. very relaxing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:17 am 

Satchel, the Single Handed Spey Lines do very much the same for me, but in a short, regular rod.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:00 am 

I'll trust and honor your successes, but I shall remain comfortably unschooled and incompetent. That list too is long. Bux