Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Farewell, Coley Newton
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:26 pm 

This is double posted, here and in the Off Topic forum, for there are visitors here who don't go there, and vice versa. This isn't about fishing, but I'm invoking my Founder's privilege.

Coley Newton, U.S. Army (retired), died this afternoon. He was 8 days short of his 48th birthday. He is survived by his son Lee, his father Colston, his brother John, and his sister Cynthia.

In a world where the title “man,” is used indiscriminately, Coley Newton was a true man. He led men into battle in three recognized wars. No book will likely be written about Coley, but he deserves one. He did his duty. He never shirked his responsibilities. He was a friend to many, a son, a brother, a husband, a father. He did his duty to all.

I was honored when Coley adopted me as his uncle. We talked when he was deployed. We talked when he was home. When he decided to retire from the Army, he asked me to help him with his resume. We talked about the transitions he would have to make, going from the combat Army to civilian life. I was privileged to sit with him in his home on the Northern Neck and we talked about his boat models, his weapons, hunting, fishing, Lee Boy, and his future.

What a good man he was. I can only tell you from the long phone conversations we occasionally had, that Coley was a very, very good man. He was a soldier’s soldier, a warrior’s warrior, and he was a very good man.

Colston let me know just a bit ago. Obviously, he’s torn up and so am I. I told him last night, when he called me to tell me Coley was in his last few hours, that I’d let you know when it transpired.

Coley, my friend, my brother: tell Peter that Thomas Jonathan Jackson and Patrick Ronayne Cleburne are waiting for you.

Thank you, God, for letting us have Coley in our lives for the time we had. Take him, Lord, to Your Bosom. He was a man of honor, integrity, and compassion, a warrior.

God, that’s gotta be worth something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:51 pm 

I am stunned and extremely sorry to hear this. I never had the privilege of meeting Coley but was extremely impressed by his deeds. Colston, my deepest sympathies for this huge loss.

Brad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:18 pm 

Wow. So sorry to read this...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:54 pm 

Thank you. There was never a day in 48 years that I wan't proud of him.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:55 am 

Colston my thoughts and Prayers are with you and Family.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:48 pm 

My Sympathies to the entire Newton family.