Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:21 am 

Chimayo Red chile is the best of the best and the standard for New Mexico red. The earthy flavor and precise heat profile (hot, but not overwhelming) are the best.

This was made with smoked chuck roast that is tender and "pullable" like a pork shoulder. The beef was pulled/shredded and stuffed inside a sopapilla, which is then covered with red chile and cheese. Stick it under the broiler until the cheese melts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:20 am 

DTB,

My wife was just looking over my shoulder when she saw the photo. She's curious and thinks she would like to try making it if I can get the recipe, she thinks she can find all of the ingredients here in Charlotte. We have had an influx of various Hispanics over the past 15 years, so genuine ingredients should be readily available. Bux

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:48 am 

Ed,

I'd be happy to help. I'll do a write up. The sopapillas are challenging to get right and having the right chile powder is crucial.

Once I compile the info, I'll forward it on.

Here are some sopapillas from a restaurant in Santa Fe we frequent -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:48 pm 

Sopapillas are an out of this world experience,,done right. They're like good homemade biscuits. 99,999,000 Americans claim to make good biscuits. Less than a 1,000 do. But when you get one, oh baby.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:45 pm 

Doug G wrote:
Sopapillas are an out of this world experience,,done right. They're like good homemade biscuits. 99,999,000 Americans claim to make good biscuits. Less than a 1,000 do. But when you get one, oh baby.

True. I'm really starting to hone my technique. Getting them to puff up is good, but getting them light and almost flaky (like a pie crust) is imperative.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:41 am 

Doug G wrote:

I'd say "that's a fact", but I think your number of good ones is high - haha.

I tried sopapillas one time many years ago and the effort was NOT worth the outcome when we have a local place that makes perfect ones. I just buy them there and stuff them.