Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:13 pm 

I am going to be in Wisconsin Dells this sat. evening, Sunday, and Monday morning. ( don't ask, I wasn't consulted. I'd rather take one of those diamond pointed meat mallets and beat my most prized member flat than do this trip) Is it worth me taking a 4 wt. rod along with a chest pack and a few flies just to have an excuse to avoid the trip to the waterpark? Also is there anything for an adult with his right mind to do there if not fishing?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:26 am 

The Wisconsin River is fishy, but I'd bump up to a 7 or 8 wt. and chase smallies. Access might be a PITA.

Or drive out to Devil's Lake and hike the bluffs.

Trout streams are a ways west, but there might be something out near Baraboo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:37 pm 

Man, that's not much hope... I guess I'll take a big bottle of bourbon along and find a porch...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:46 pm 

This is useful: https://cida.usgs.gov/wdnr_fishmap/map/

Tells you what you're likely to find, and where.

Pick the species you want, click "Update map" and zoom in around the Dells. Data based on DNR shocking surveys.

...but it's not called "The Troutless Area" for nothing...

I'd think about driving down, hauling you out on a lake somewhere...but we just had to put my buddy Spike down this afternoon and I am not going to be good company for a while.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:58 am 

Just for fun, I populated the map for brown, brook and rainbow trout.

Here's what that map looks like:

Here's what the areas around the dells looks like:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:13 am 

7 hours driving to get here yesterday. Right through Chicago. But we have really nice digs here at Tamarack Resorts. Sat on the patio with a glass of Bourbon and watched an Eagle soaring way up high. Had some decent pizza and wings and a Leinies Canoe Paddler beer. Pretty good stuff. Great nights sleep. Now having coffee on the patio. I’ll make it, but I’d rather be fishing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:10 pm 

Satchel wrote:
7 hours driving to get here yesterday. Right through Chicago. But we have really nice digs here at Tamarack Resorts. Sat on the patio with a glass of Bourbon and watched an Eagle soaring way up high. Had some decent pizza and wings and a Leinies Canoe Paddler beer. Pretty good stuff. Great nights sleep. Now having coffee on the patio. I’ll make it, but I’d rather be fishing.

Re the Canoe Paddler: Thanks for contributing the the Further North Charitable and Benevolent Fund, even in a small way, I appreciate it. It is probably the best of their current beers.

Sorry to hear about the day-long drive and having to go through the pit of Chicago...nobody deserves that. If you can, consider going through Rockford, Il and continue heading south from there on the way home. I've driven to Indian-No-Place twice this year, and though it'll map out a bit longer on GPS or Google, it's not even close in the real world of avoiding the-cesspool-on-the-lake.

I looked up Tamarack Resorts and if you're way out there, you're in pretty good shape...won't have to endure too many tattooed wonders that stared out as a cute little butterfly in a not-too-public-place that turn into stretched condors hanging out of places you'd rather not see...there's not much like a 220 lb. Chicago Native in a bikini she shouldn't be wearing with a tattoo she shouldn't be showing in a water park. Her husband will be no better, but at least most of his stretched out tats will be so covered with hair you'll wonder, "Why is that guy wearing a sweater?"

...and then it'll hit you: He's not...

If it gets to be too much, have more Canoe Paddler. Buy it in 12 packs at the beer store. Admire the the printing on the box, and think if Chippewa Falls...

Hope you found a coupe of good places to eat; Moosejaw is decent, as is the sausage place across the street. CRSing on the name...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:14 am 

Back home, none the worse for wear. Did I 39 route south on the way home. No traffic tie-ups at all. Bit longer but worth it. Had already planned on that once we got through Chicago on the way up.

The waterpark was loaded with beauties. Way higher good to bad ratio than the last time I was at one from my memory. A couple as you described, one in particular cause widespread gawking as it was just so gross. Spent a couple hours going round and round on the lazy river wondering where the station was that they could hand you beers right in your tube. Alas never found that one. That's ok, at $11 a glass I wasn't in the market for beer anyway.

I went, I was tolerant and even had a small amount of fun, but I have made the request of the lovely Missus to never make me do that again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:30 am 

Satchel wrote:
The waterpark was loaded with beauties. Way higher good to bad ratio than the last time I was at one from my memory.

Satch, don't know how old you are, but I have noticed there are a lot more lovely ladies in their 50's and 60's than there were back about 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:35 pm 

I've noticed the same thing. Isn't God good to give us failing eyes as we age?