Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 pm 

...has had a Singapore Sling at the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel ?

Bux

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:51 pm 

Probably. Was that before the Japs took Singapore?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:39 pm 

Squire, When I was there, your family was still trying to figure out who was to blame for your arrival as a member of the proud House of Newton lineage. ;) Bux

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:30 pm 

There is a funny story, a twist if you wish.....
Donna and I had just ended a three-week guided trip through China in the 1980s, and a few days in Singapore, Thailand and Hong Kong each were added on..."as relatively inexpensive, quick look-sees". We had some good digs in both countries...far nicer than those of the '80s on Mainland China.
Donna was getting on my nerves, and she had had enough of me by the time we arrived in hot and steamy, Singapore. After lunch we both went our separate ways.... I headed just down the street to the Raffle's Hotel, fully intending to follow Hemingway's advice for dining and drinking.

I ordered my first Singapore Sling...and slowly cooled off in their great bar.* It was good...not great, but tall, good enough to order another. Through the open end of the room I could see the hotel's small swimming pool. I must have smiled in this touch of decadence... a bright "hello", followed by a slight whiff of perfume, turned my head to a rather nice looking woman...in her late 30s, maybe early 40s with a soft British accent joined me at the bar. We chatted about nothing for a bit...I'll admit she got better looking as we spoke - far from the "horsey" English women I'd met on visits. I must have said something about how inviting the water looked....given the muggy high 90s out side.

She then asked if I'd like to join her for a dip in the pool. (Imagine all this - it was some movie script.) I told her that I was not a guest at the hotel, and had no bathing suit with me. She then said that her husband was about my size and I could use his trunks.

In, I'm sure, a little boy's voice, I said, "I don't think your husband would appreciate some other man to be wearing his swim trunks."
Then she said, " My husband is in the oil exploration business and he is miles away examining sites in the far north....and I'm bored, and I'd really, truely like to go swimming."

You would never believe the "rest of the story."

Edward ;) ;) :D

*Photos of the old bar are on the internet.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:08 pm 

Doesn't matter if we believe "the rest of the story." Did Donna?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:29 pm 

Best I can do is a Malayan Fog Cutter at the Rongovian Embassy. No pool or English ladies real or imagined were involved.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:51 pm 

I have had a drink at that bar. Guess I am too ugly to attract hookers, though.

Brad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:27 pm 

Screaming tangent...In "Battle Cry" the young Marine Danny Forester gets drunk for the first time and orders a "Slingapore Sing".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:42 pm 

Yes, in 1963. We were on a joint exercise with the RAF at the fighter base at Tengah,and they took us to the Raffles for Singapore Slings because we were tourists. Also to Bugis Street, but that's another story.

John

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:37 am 

Rancid C. wrote:
Yes, in 1963. We were on a joint exercise with the RAF at the fighter base at Tengah,and they took us to the Raffles for Singapore Slings because we were tourists. Also to Bugis Street, but that's another story.

John

John...I was born in 1963. :shock: