Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 am 

I've camped in the same spot up in the forest service for years and have never had anything taken, but Sunday morning someone had the balls to walk right under where I was sleeping and take two fly rods and one spin caster from the back of my pickup.

So I'm out:
1 Orvis 5 wt. trident with a battenkill reel and brand new sinking tip line.
1 Sage 4 wt. XP with a battenkill reel.
1 Fenwick spincaster.

I know who took it. There was a sketchy looking guy camping back in a ways driving an old blue Dodge truck. He was the only one gone on Sunday morning, the other campers were still there. I could see his boot prints clear as day where he walked from the road to my truck and back again. I checked his camping spot and those boot prints were all over it, so it had to be him.

I did notice that there is a camera at the intersection down in Red Feater, but I'm not sure what it's for, think it's CDOT. I contacted the Sheriff, and they are putting me in contact with the detective for that area. Maybe that camera can tell who this A-hole is.

I'm only hoping that he doesn't know how to cast and sticks my hand tied fly in his fricking eye!!!!
Also, he had 2 kids with him. What kind of message is he sending them?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:57 am 

That makes me ill just hearing about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:50 pm 

Years ago I stopped accepting that fishermen, hunters, hikers, campers and other assorted outdoor people were honest and worthy of trust. The news coverage, films, magazine features and all the rest have drawn a number of ne'er do wells into the outdoors.
We even have to lock our cars when we go grocery shopping, stopping for gas or stopping at interstate rest areas. The dirt-balls are all over and they breed more than most. The cops also advise that you keep your car doors locked when driving. Bux

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:54 pm 

That sucks.It sounds like he's grooming the kids to be his retirement plan,the next generation of low life thieves that will steal to feed him when he's old.Hope they catch him and you get your rods back,you know he aint gonna get a fitting punishment from the system.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:54 pm 

Jeez...

I had a big tackle box with hundreds of flies (mostly bass and pike) three reels, several lines and misc. other stuff lifted off the front of my boat while I walked up to get the truck and trailer to pull it out.

Well past $1,000 by the time I got done.

The only good was it was covered by home-owners insurance...and that I'm sure whoever took it had no use for all the fly fishing stuff. I'm sure they thought they were getting a box full of Rapalas, Mepps and jigs...Had they grapped the other one, they would have.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:23 pm 

Really sorry to hear it. How did he onow what was in your truck? Was it all unlocked and open?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:24 am 

The rods were together and laying in the back, so they were sticking out of the back, but it was backed in. So he had to have seen them previously to know they were there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:00 pm 

Or he saw an open back pickup and being experienced in such matters just went to investigate.