Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: First trout.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:42 pm 

I still have my Johnson Century.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:46 pm 

Colston Newton wrote:
I still have my Johnson Century.

There's a Johnson Century on the bottom of Lake ThomALex that I lost. Button pushed by mistake. Dad gunned the engine, heard a thump and she was gone. Now that I think of it, 2 margaritas in, it may have been a different Johnson reel... Sable maybe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:41 pm 

There's a Johnson Sabre at the bottom of Lake Powell outside Williamsburg. February fishing. Cold. My rod with the reel on it just rolled out of my hand. (Rod had belonged to Joe Brooks BTW...a sort of spin-fly combination...wasn't good at either.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:47 pm 

Colston Newton wrote:
There's a Johnson Sabre at the bottom of Lake Powell outside Williamsburg. February fishing. Cold. My rod with the reel on it just rolled out of my hand. (Rod had belonged to Joe Brooks BTW...a sort of spin-fly combination...wasn't good at either.)

Sabre. That was the name. Dad bought at a yard sale and sent off for refurbishment. Mine was on an Eagle Claw graphite rod. From Army-navy surplus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:59 am 

The Squire mentioned a "Spin/Fly rod"...which raised the old adage:
"Anything designed to do more than one thing doesn't do either one well."
Bux

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:18 pm 

ColoradoNative wrote:
Dr. Trout Bum wrote:
What was it about that experience that made you think, "This is the sport for me?"

Watching that fish take that fly off of the top where I could see it. That was almost as exciting as shooting my first deer.
To this day, I catch 10x the fish sub-surface, but I will spend hours for that strike on top.

My first trout on a fly rod was a similar experience. I was casting an elk hair caddis without any clue what I was doing. One back-cast felt a bit peculiar and heavy. Upon investigation, I found I had a small (and ambitious) fingerling trout hooked and I'd sent him on a bit of a ride.

I was in Fort Collins for father's day and my daughter drove me up Poudre Canyon a bit. It must be nice to have a place like that and the Big Thompson so close that you can just jump in the car and go for a couple of hours of fishing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:41 pm 

My grandson, Jack, with his first trout

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:52 pm 

Another first trout...The Librarian's

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 pm 

DrTB. I can't imagine being that close to the Big Thompson. I've got memories of that place. I also have a cousin who lives in Estes Park. You can very literally step two steps off her porch steps and dap a fly rod in the Big Thompson.

Colston. You ARE a lucky man. The Librarian is a keeper for sure. So was her first trout. And Jack did good for himself too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:32 pm 

Satchel wrote:
DrTB. I can't imagine being that close to the Big Thompson. I've got memories of that place. I also have a cousin who lives in Estes Park. You can very literally step two steps off her porch steps and dap a fly rod in the Big Thompson.

Colston. You ARE a lucky man. The Librarian is a keeper for sure. So was her first trout. And Jack did good for himself too.

It's a beautiful place, for sure. And those are just the quick trips. I'm guessing it would take a while to explore the opportunities in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next