Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: First trout.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:22 am 

Can't remember the first trout. Must have been on the Tuckaseegee River just below the old Indian weir near Webster on either a salmon egg or a corn kernel (that was the only honey hole my brother-in-law would take us to).

First on a fly - the South Toe River just downstream of Black Mountain Campground - 6-inch brown on a Royal Coachman dry. Those trout were many years apart.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:38 pm 

Sheesh! Just googled up Feller's Pond where I caught my first trout. It has become a fancy-schmansy park with walkways, trees, signs, picnic tables, etc. I guess Long Island has "gentrified" all over in the past 78 years.
There used to be a dirt softball field on one side and a tar-sand road on the other. Sunfish, catfish, eels, shiners and stocked brown trout used to live there. There were never any rules* when I fished there, and all of us neighborhood kids floated the rafts we made from lumber we swiped from building sites.
Bux
*enforced.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:56 pm 

Dont know when you were last on L.I.,Bux,but there is no place "rural" anymore out there.Even the east end potato farming areas.In just the last 20 yrs it has become totally sub-urbanized at best,and ghetto-ized at worst.MS-13 and their ilk are everywhere.I'm sure I never knew it to be as rural as when you lived there,but the change I've seen in my era is drastic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:21 pm 

NYFly,

There used to be potato farms all over the Island....during WWII, German POWs* used to be trucked out to cultivate the farms and to dig up the potatoes.
The war years kept most of the civilians that weren't in the service occupied by building "machines" of war." The Grumman Plant in Bethpage built most of the aircraft for the Navy,(Wildcats, Hellcats and Avengers) and the Republic Plant in Farmingdale built fighters for the Air Corps (Thunderbolts).
Bux

* after the war ended, some of those German POWs returned to live on the Island. Long time ago...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:27 pm 

During my lifetime,the potato farms were all out east.We used to camp on a beach in Wading River and walk to the potato fields and pick some for baking in the coals of the campfire.Had permission from the farmer,of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:11 am 

I've been reeling trout in longer than I can remember (thanks Dad).
I do remember my first trout on a dry fly though. The Poudre river just west of town. It was about a 5" trout and I set the hook so hard it flew over my shoulder, over the bushes behind me and onto the road. By the time I got up to it, a car had run over it. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:30 pm 

ColoradoNative wrote:
I've been reeling trout in longer than I can remember (thanks Dad).
I do remember my first trout on a dry fly though. The Poudre river just west of town. It was about a 5" trout and I set the hook so hard it flew over my shoulder, over the bushes behind me and onto the road. By the time I got up to it, a car had run over it. :cry:

What was it about that experience that made you think, "This is the sport for me?"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:35 pm 

From Red Blanket Creek in Southern Oregon. I was sitting on my Dad's shoulders...aged 5 or 6.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:48 am 

Dr. Trout Bum wrote:
What was it about that experience that made you think, "This is the sport for me?"

Watching that fish take that fly off of the top where I could see it. That was almost as exciting as shooting my first deer.
To this day, I catch 10x the fish sub-surface, but I will spend hours for that strike on top.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:28 pm 

About 1960 or so on the Soquee River in N GA. It was a 14" rainbow and I caught it on a worm and a glass casting rod. The reel was a Johnson Century. That was way before stocking was frequent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next