Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gamakatsu C16-B
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:03 pm 

Any of you guys ever try this hook? http://www.feather-craft.com/gamakatsu- ... erger-hook

Funny shape, but I found a midge emerger pattern that uses this hook (seriously, now I can't find it - arrrrrgh), and it looks exactly like what I was thinking about tying this weekend when watching fish eating them 3 feet from my float tube.

There were so many naturals on the water, that it was tough but I caught a couple. I think this emerger would have helped.

My question is, this hook looks a bit on the wimpy side. Might not hold up to bigger fish. Anybody ever tie with it?

Post subject: Re: Gamakatsu C16-B
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 pm 

ColoradoNative wrote:
My question is, this hook looks a bit on the wimpy side. Might not hold up to bigger fish. Anybody ever tie with it?

I am always amazed when fishermen, especially fly fishermen, worry about hook strength. You use tippet that is tiny with a test strength of 2 - 4 lbs. and a long, an when compared with casting and spinning rods, limber rod. I would bet on the line breaking before the hook fails.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:56 am 

I'm not worried about it breaking, but bending to the point of unusable is very possible.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:45 pm 

Naaah, It will not break on a fish...however, if it hangs up on a sunken tree root or rock, it may just bend until it pulls free. Whereupon, you may bend it back into shape with the tiny pliers you forgot to bring. ;) Bux

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:07 pm 

Uncle Jesse wrote:
ColoradoNative wrote:

I am always amazed when fishermen, especially fly fishermen, worry about hook strength. You use tippet that is tiny with a test strength of 2 - 4 lbs. and a long, an when compared with casting and spinning rods, limber rod. I would bet on the line breaking before the hook fails.

I use leaders that are 30# wire, tied to 40# and 50# fluorocarbon... with 8/0 hooks buried in a fly that's 14" long... ;)

Maybe you mean "Trout fly fishermen"? :lol: ;)

...and yeah, I'm nuts. I get that...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:17 am 

Uncle Jesse, you're theory does not hold true in my experience. I was fishing with Jim Traylor (JimmyT) on the White River below Bull shoals dam one time. I hooked a very nice fish on a size 18 Blood Midge. It was tied by Jimmy on a Tiemco hook. Those hooks are supposedly very high quality and more expensive than other hooks. This was a nice Brown that Jimmy estimated at 26-28" when he missed him with the net as he was came along side the boat before taking off downstream ripping line off the reel. My leader was 9' with 2' of 6x fluorocarbon tippet. I had fought the fish for several minutes at the head of a shoal when it came off. I fully expected to find a broken tippet or failed knot when I retrieved my line, but instead found a hook with the bend straightened out. Not sure how it happened but it did. I still have that fly in a fly box in the basement.