Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:24 pm 

John Macko and I are off in the AM for possibly the last (nearby) stream fishing until the Fall. We are hitting the low 90s here in Charlotte but the foothills are a bit cooler. The water should be OK since we've had rain and there have been thunder-bumpers on and off north of us....but the water will likely be lower than normal. Wet-wading and small flies...dries and wets both...can you say # 16 - 20? ...or, whatever works when we get there.
This is the only time of year that I yearn for my years in New York, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania..... :roll: Putnam, Tompkins, St. Lawrence and Dutchess County (all NY) spoiled me from the age of nine....and kept my grades "unheralded." Even Suffolk County provided trout (all browns) until I was 8.
...nahhh, I love North Carolina, 90% of the time....and the trout are here in the higher mountains year -round...just a tad farther away.

Not to worry about my faux melancholy mood, the Ardbeg will kick-in shortly.
Bux

Last edited by Buxtehude on Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:35 pm 

What is an Ardbeg?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:19 pm 

An indifferent scotch.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:46 pm 

Ardbeg Uigeadail (pronounced Oog-a-dal), takes its name from the brooding, mysterious loch which provides the peat- laden water for ARDBEG.

According to recent behavioral studies, people that buy unassisted, free-roaming vacuum cleaners never buy, use or appreciate single-malt scotch whisky.

Bux

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:40 am 

Grain alcohol filtered through a bale of peat moss.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:31 pm 

I'll set aside the discussion of fine, single malt whisky until later....since I am enjoying a bit of it after returning home from the river.... possibly the last outing until the autumn.

John Macko and I had a nice day on Jacobs Creek. The lovely cane wand (from Mr. Wendt's skilled hands) did it's stuff. Five healthy brown trout sipped my dry fly presentations and came to hand...No huge trout, but 8" to 13" which satisfied me. Several others looked closely but chose not to partake...one of them would have been memorable.....all of a sudden it was there....and just as quickly disappeared to wherever it rose from.
Life is good. Din skoal, min skoal, alavaka Flicka skoal,
Bux

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:44 pm 

All's well that ends well....the lady that lives here served a nice, light dinner. The house dog was delighted that I returned home in time to play ball. The dinner was light, and was served with a gentle, but not overly, delicate white wine.
A very good scotch* topped off the day. Damn, but I am one lucky fella. :D :D :D

Bux

* Thanks Douglas ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:25 am 

Sounds like a grand day Bux. Good for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:00 pm 

Why for you no go out again until fall?

Best part of the year here...too hot there?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:52 am 

Yes, it is the temperature that ends the Spring season. Our trout fishing is determined by the hour(s) needed to drive and return in one day. The water we usually fish is generally shallow...on average waist deep...thus the effect of the heated day is pronounced. As the water warms, the stocked brookies disappear. The browns and rainbows become sluggish and tire quickly if caught. It is believed that many of the brook trout head upstream into the small cooler water of the higher, tiny feeder streams in the higher mountains.
Those living in the NC northern counties along the Appalachians are able to fish year-round.
Bux