Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite rod
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:46 pm 

Gene L wrote:
Good answers, but some seem to missing the point. In my intention, doesn't address on which rods you choice to be in your hand when you go fishing but which do you select before goint to the river. . When you go fishing with any rod, which one do you choose? Unless you pack a quiver of rods on the riverbank. Generally a 5wt. I only carry one to the river, and while I admit, I don't have a favorite performing rod, I stand y my original choices. Not saying I wouldn't change based on a completely off-topic rod.

Probably my least favorite rod is a Winston, which looks great, but with which I've taken very few fish. My choices are based on catching fish....not on performance. Truthfully, I can't tell much difference in performance at typical fishing distances. Some are soft, some are quick, but it takes only about three or four casts to get adjusted to the rod.

When I am going to fish one specific river, I will put a few fly rods in the truck and decide which rod to use once I see the water.

If I had my druthers, I'd fish a medium/slow bamboo, casting dry flies to rising fish.

If it's rough, deep water, I'd probably fish my graphite Orvis Helios2.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:59 am 

G Loomis GLX 8 wt 4 piece travel.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:17 am 

Same as Douglas....the Mark Wendt built Dickerson 8013. She does everything I ask her to do and even lessens and softens my casting flaws - the rod's gender is decidedly female, staunch, yet forgiving of my shortcomings. Bux

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:06 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
Same as Douglas....the Mark Wendt built Dickerson 8013. She does everything I ask her to do and even lessens and softens my casting flaws - the rod's gender is decidedly female, staunch, yet forgiving of my shortcomings. Bux

You know a female who forgives shortcomings? I know some who eventually decide to tolerate them, but forgive them?

We're speaking of rods, in case anyone asks.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:16 pm 

Gene L wrote:
Good answers, but some seem to missing the point. In my intention, doesn't address on which rods you choice to be in your hand when you go fishing but which do you select before goint to the river. . When you go fishing with any rod, which one do you choose? Unless you pack a quiver of rods on the riverbank. Generally a 5wt. I only carry one to the river, and while I admit, I don't have a favorite performing rod, I stand y my original choices. Not saying I wouldn't change based on a completely off-topic rod.

Probably my least favorite rod is a Winston, which looks great, but with which I've taken very few fish. My choices are based on catching fish....not on performance. Truthfully, I can't tell much difference in performance at typical fishing distances. Some are soft, some are quick, but it takes only about three or four casts to get adjusted to the rod.

Gene What Winston do you have that you dislike? What wt is it?

Tom

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 am 

St.Lucie Tom wrote:
Gene L wrote:

Gene What Winston do you have that you dislike? What wt is it?

Tom

He doesn't own one he goes fishing with a stick.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:52 am 

A 9' 5wt WT, and a 8' 4wt IM6.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:06 pm 

Gene,

Is it the rod's failure to avoid tree limbs, brush, briers, rhododendrons or things in the depths and/or edges of the body of water?

Bux

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:08 pm 

The one item Gene needs most on a river or stream ....is a pair of sturdy, sharp, pruning shears.
Has it not occurred to most here that "Your Pal Jim" only fishes near Gene when hunkered down, in the opposite end of a rowboat, in the middle of a shallow pond? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 pm 

My second favorite trout rod is a Winston 3 piece LT 5wt. Third favorite is a Winston 5 piece LT 5 at. Fourth favorite is a Winston 6'6" WT 2 pc.

Favorite bass rod is a Winston LTX 6wt.

Favorite salt rods are Winston LTX 8wt and an XT10. Next May, I'm taking my family to Belieze. I'm going to finally land a Tarpon on that 10. I've hooked three but never landed one. I will next year.

Y'all will have to do GOTC without me. I'll be at the Turneffe Stoll, snagging Tarpon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next