Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:35 pm 

What to take to bed with you - not a joke.
Pretty neat idea. Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr's office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night.

If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.

This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage.

If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around. After a few seconds, all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there. This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.

P.S I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone. My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him. He can activate the car alarm and then she'll know there's a problem.

Please pass this on even IF you've read it before.
It's a reminder.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:44 pm 

This is a great idea that I shared with my daughter.

Won't work for us, not sure if it's distance or too many walls, but remote won't work from our bedroom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:58 pm 

That's a good idea - it'd work camping too.

We tend to rely on two dogs coming unglued, but this'd be a good add on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:26 am 

Great Idea will share

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 am 

I had to reread this twice.

I thought Ed was advocating that we take to bed with us, your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr's office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. I've had my kids in bed with me when they were scared, but I'm not sure I'd want my doctor's office in my bed. There is one check-out girl though....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:37 am 

The "Speed-reading" skills of licensed engineers is a thing of beauty. Bridges tumble, buildings collapse, dams crack, levees leak and roads bank the wrong way...all because some licensed engineer....nahhh, that couldn't be....they're licensed....by older engineers. :?

Bux

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:41 pm 

That's a good idea. I'll follow it, but I'll also take my favorite handgun in case the bad guys are deaf.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:58 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
The "Speed-reading" skills of licensed engineers is a thing of beauty. Bridges tumble, buildings collapse, dams crack, levees leak and roads bank the wrong way...all because some licensed engineer....nahhh, that couldn't be....they're licensed....by older engineers. :?

Bux

Engineers don't license buildings, dams, levees, or roads. States license engineers though. And then I spend hours each day, trying to explain to dumb sales folk and developers"

"No, I cannot tell you how to convert torque to pressure." "What? I thought you went to school. This bolt has a tensile strength of 120,000psi. We need to do a proof load of 85,000psi. How much torque is that?"

"No, I cannot tell you how many pounds there is in a gallon unless you tell me what the gallon will be." "It'll be a gallon!" "Of what? Water, gasoline, oil?" "I don't know. A gallon's a gallon."

"How many twits does it take to tick off an engineer?" "One!" "How did you know that so quickly?" "I'm talking to him."