Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:44 am 

Due to certain recent arrangements with the State of Virginia we will each have to purchase a fishing license for our upcoming visit to fish at Meadow Lane. I suspect that Virginia is also stocking the Jackson River and that has created the switch.
The good news is that the license may easily be purchased and printed out on the Virginia website.

There is a 5 day non-resident license available for $21.00
Bux

https://searchprivacy.co/?q=Virginia%20 ... 2ae623#web

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:25 pm 

I underestimated the ability of the tech-weenies at VA Fishing to confuse a simple transaction that used to take one-2 minute phone call. I'm not convinced that the "computer age" is saving time and money for anyone. It used to take a simple phone-call with the reg. number of your last license to an office just off I-81.
Today, I ended up talking with a guy in Richmond (Hispanic, and very professional, that took a minute to have it e-mailed).
However, getting to the good guy took forever. The entire website is now filled with incidental drivel..."no sir, I do not have a boat...and I will not be fishing in salt water nor netting fish...etc.
Bux

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:18 am 

Edward, IF the state of VA is stocking the Jackson River and IF the Jackson River is POSTED as being stocked, you have to buy a $47 trout fishing license in addition to the non-resident fishing license. The question is "Is the Jackson a Designated Stock Trout Water?" The state lists the following stretches of the Jackson as such: The Rt. 623 area (well to the north of us), the Hidden Valley area (again north and upstream of us), and the Special Regulation area (which I finally found, after an hour of digging - it's upstream of Hidden Valley), so we're fine. If any of you are planning to fish off site, then you might want to look into your need for the trout license. Otherwise, you're fine since VA doesn't stock the Jackson where we are according to them. If you're only fishing on the Meadowlane property, you only need the NR fishing license.

It took me less than 2 minutes to buy a fishing license online, without calling anyone or going through any hassle whatsoever. Virginia has its online sales down pat. Very easy system to navigate. You set up an account, then you buy your license.

https://gooutdoorsvirginia.com/

From the VA website:

Quote:
Nonresident Fees
License Fee
Nonresident State Freshwater Fishing** $47.00
Nonresident 1-Day Freshwater Fishing** $8.00
Nonresident 5-Day Freshwater Fishing** (5 consecutive days) $21.00
Nonresident Trout Fishing (October 1-June 15). Required in addition to other nonresident licenses if fishing in stocked waters. $47.00

** A valid nonresident trout license ($47.00 annual or $555.00 lifetime) is required in addition to other nonresident licenses only if you are fishing in designated stocked trout waters (October 1–June 15).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:50 am 

The Jackson is stocked by the state above and below Meadow Lane. State stocked waters are open to the public. Meadow Lane is not. Just the $21 license is enough unless you want to go to Back Creek, the Bullpasture or some other public water..

No idea why we suddenly need a license.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:23 pm 

Squire,
If I had to guess, it would be the state(VA) deciding that their trout stocking on either end of the ML property would likely cause some of those fish to naturally spread out into the private water at either end. Of course the ML stockings would also spread out -- if Jason were to stock close to each end of the ML stretch... Who knows why? I didn't find out until last week when the official paperwork I had to sign arrived here. Bux

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:03 pm 

Yes, it looks like there has been a change.
The Meadow Lane website does now say that you do need a license.

See:
http://www.meadowlanecottages.com/Fly_F ... River.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:55 pm 

Brian,
I had to sign some "agreements" that included this "new" requirement. Those inclusions were new, never saw them before. We had always conformed to the requirements on the earlier "contracts" with Meadow Lane.
Their guide/river-keeper, Jason. provided a "card" that we received showing that we were paying clients to ML.
The 1.5 miles of the ML Jackson were stocked by ML, thus the state was not a factor. Something has changed since last year re the watershed. We'll discover what that was in a week or so. The deal is still a good one, so we will not bitch and moan about the extra $21.00. We will be the "Happy Campers" we always are. :D

Bux

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:02 pm 

Ed,

Ah, I see. It does seem that there have been some changes brought about.
$21 is still a good deal for fishing that water.

I'm sorry I won't be there, I'll miss you guys. I had to make a move for vacation time and a bamboo gathering came up in the Smoky Mountains. This was before any details of GOTC came about.

As you all are arriving at Meadow Lane, I will be arriving on the quiet side of the Smokys. Most of the other guys are going to be pulling out on Sunday. I'm going to stick around for a few more days and leave on Wednesday.