Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:03 am 

Mother's Day is 13 May this year.....in the Northeastern USA that means the "Mother's Day Caddis" should be arriving. The trout love 'em....the insects are big and clumsy and they land hard and sometimes even bounce or skip on the surface. Virginia should be a bit ahead of the NE date.
Get some black body, #10 & #12. With white wings - they are easy to follow. They don't sink easily so there's little maintenance. They show up at about the same time as those little blue butterflies we see clustered around the rain puddles.

Bux

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:57 am 

Thanks for the heads up,just checked and I've only got one such fly in a #12.Gonna order some right now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 pm 

NYFLY,

The quaint term,"Mother's Day" Caddis, has its roots in the "North Country" of NY State, so their appearance will be somewhat sooner south of there. You are probably closer to the arrival than those north of Syracuse.
I've noticed the co-arrival of the little blue butterflies in southern Ontario, St. Lawrence County, NY and even here in North Carolina...right along with the arrival of the black-bodied caddis.
It's a fun time because the trout get reckless in their competition to grab the flies and they seem to ignore even the clumsy presentation.
The only hatch I've seen that was truly "trout madness" is the Green Drake* hatch in central Pennsylvania - the trout feed voraciously and totally ignore humans...bumping into your waders as they feed. It is a hoot, but pointless to fish with the surface blanketed with the real insects.

Bux

* The Green Drakes are more yellow than green, but they were already named long before I appeared.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:08 pm 

Pretty much the same green drake 'coffin fly' hatch early/mid june on the Au sable in Wilmington, NY. Hard part is predicting when I'm June. Spinner fall at dark is like a heavy snow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:59 pm 

I may or may not have seen Mr. Moore tear up some trout for a bit on a dark caddis on Dinwiddie several years back. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:50 pm 

The nice thing about the caddis is that, in many places, they hang around (hatching) for the rest of the season. - Trout are always on the lookout for food, and they never get tired of the convenient caddis.
Bux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:15 pm 

I'll be happy if we have open water by Mother's day...