Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Steak
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:34 pm 

Doug G wrote:
Make your next grilled cheese sandwiches with a light coat of mayo on the outside. They will be perfect; much better than butter. And no one will ever know unless you tell them. Mayo and sugar are one of those crisp exterior things that people don't know happens in kitchens.

Nice tip...I'll check it on out my griddle when I get home. By the way, green chile on a grilled cheese is amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:27 pm 

Dr. Trout Bum wrote:
NYFLY wrote:
Well,thanks for that,Doug.I'll never order a grilled cheese in the diner again.

That is a significant phobia...might want to have that checked. ;)

Just for the record, does this include Miracle Whip (which is like mayo, but gross)?

Miracle whip is just mayo by a different name.Its a serious phobia for sure.One day I was eating a sandwich with melted swiss.The girl I mentioned before pointed at it and said"look,you're eating mayo" I looked,knew it was the swiss but tossed the sandwich in the garbage anyway.Just in case.My wife used to try to mess with me by putting the mayo in front of the half and half in the fridge,knowing I wont touch the jar.I would get a fork or some such and knock it out on the floor and leave it there,I kicked it across the floor once and got the willies cause my foot touched it.I wont use yellow mustard because somehow I got the idea it was brown mustard mixed with mayo,I know it isnt,but just in case.I could go on and on with my mayophobic stories.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:13 pm 

Dang. When I was a kid, I'd eat mayo with a spoon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:54 pm 

I'm with Colston, I could probably eat Mayo/Miracle Whip on just about anything. Miracle Whip, Duke Mayonnaise....doesn't matter, pretty much the same thing. (Yes, I do know that there actually is a difference, it just doesn't make much difference to me.)

Perhaps when growing up, I was more hungry than picky.

Doug, when I get off the road, I am going to try that mayo/grilled cheese thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:02 pm 

While you may equate them in your terrified mind, mayo and miracle whip are most definitely not the same.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:16 pm 

Dr. Trout Bum wrote:
While you may equate them in your terrified mind, mayo and miracle whip are most definitely not the same.

Not so much terror as extremely gross.Did you read what I said about yellow mustard?They may well be very different.To me Miracle whip is actually grosser,its mayo with the word "whip".I used to eat mayo as a kid,I miss tuna with mayo,I know I did like it,but I cant even smell it anymore.My dislike of it started in high school and has gotten progressively worse ever since.I think it was looking at that greenish yellow oily mess in the school cafeteria that started it.I'm betting a psych would have a field day with me on this subject.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:40 pm 

NYFLY: Don't tell me your mayo sob story. I'll never forget my mother making some green mayo for a Christmas salad. For weeks after Christmas our school lunch sandwiches had green mayo. Couldn't trade those things even for the Talbot kids' banana sandwiches.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:06 pm 

Ah,but the green in our H.S. mayo wasnt food coloring,probably ptomaine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:06 pm 

NYFLY wrote:
Of course I wouldnt know,but now all I know is it "might" have mayo.You dont understand how deep my phobia about mayo is.If I'm in a deli and see the guy cut a sandwich with mayo,I dont care how much he wipes the knife clean I wont let him cut my sandwich.A girl I was working with went out one day to get us lunch and came back and sat and bit into her sandwich,I saw the mayo squish out the side and threw my sandwich away,it was in the same bag as her mayo.I never let her buy my lunch again,and if I went and she asked for mayo,no way she was getting it.If I'm food shopping and the wife puts mayo on the list,it aint happening,I wont even touch the jar.

Never ever visit Rochester, MN.

...and be careful in Western WI, and Eastern MN...

...I Googled...and apparently Mayo-phobia is a thing: https://www.google.com/search?q=mayonna ... irefox-b-1