Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:14 pm 

Doug G wrote:
They've changed their guarantee. Formerly, they'd take back anything, no matter how old or for any reason. No more. The bean counters took over. Happens when you're no longer privately held.

New Guarantee:
We stand behind all our products and are confident that they will perform as designed. If you are not 100% satisfied with one of our products, you may return it within one year of purchase for a refund. After one year, we will consider any items for return that are defective due to materials or craftsmanship.

The death of the old warranty was because of the bean counters, it was because too many people were wearing out products, then asking for free replacements.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:15 pm 

St.Lucie Tom wrote:
Cabela's and Gander Mountain are belly up.

Tom

Cabela's is still around...just got a Rio line from them today...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:38 pm 

Cabanas is belly up. They were bought by BassPro and still operate, for now, under the Cabelas brand. The company is no more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:22 pm 

Charlotte has a Cabela's store just over the line in SC, and a Bass Pro shop just north of the city. We have an Orvis store in South Charlotte about two miles away from the house. Between all that, and a very good local outdoor store. Jesse Brown's, just a 1/4 mile from Orvis, I'm well fixed when I "need" something.
I kinda like the locally owned store - the employees know what they are talking about as opposed to all of the hired "posers" that prattle on about the mysteries of fly fishing and hunting in the chain stores.

I don't like being pumped for information about where I fish either...and the chains rely on that so they can appear to be "on the ball and cutting-edge."

Cranky Bux....with his solo honest double martini of the day.....whilst typing one-handed.

Boy do I need this GOTC break right about now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:29 pm 

Doug G wrote:
Cabanas is belly up. They were bought by BassPro and still operate, for now, under the Cabelas brand. The company is no more.

Yes, we all know Cabela's was purchased by Bass Pro. Any outdoors oriented person who doesn't know this hd to have been living in a cave the last three years.

We may be saying the same thing in different ways.

To me, "belly up" implies bankrupt or shut down.

Being purchased by another entity, not so much.

...as of right now, it remains a separate business unit, with it's own P&L...so, not "belly up" in my language, but I can see how some people might see ti that way.

Cabela's started to go in the crapper when the went public...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:17 pm 

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend you. I'll go brush some cobwebs from the root cellar now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:54 pm 

Doug G wrote:
Sorry. Didn't mean to offend you. I'll go brush some cobwebs from the root cellar now.

No worries, not offended.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:53 pm 

Doug G wrote:

Hey, and BTW, if that was some kind of cynicism...

Really? You can do better...I think.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:58 am 

Boy oh boy do we need to get out on the water. We're all getting cranky and out of sorts....sure signs of "cabin fever". As long as you don't kick the dog it is tolerable and not unexpected. Spring is just around the corner.

Bux