Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Confusing find
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:32 am 

I went to my local sporting goods store to pick up some 6x tippet material for the small flies I'm told are better for the trout over there. I wandered over to the fly fishing section and began looking for flurocarbon (fluro) 6x. I usually use Rio because I trust their quality control but there wasn't any 6x fluro. There was some copolymer nylon 6x but I wanted fluro for its greater breaking strength to diameter ratio. They had a couple of other brands (Airflo and Trout Hunter) which I figured would be ok. While checking I saw the Torut Hunter 6x fluro was rated at a lower breaking strength than the 6x copolymer nylon What??? So I checked out the Rio 5x and, sure enough, the copolymer was rated at a greater breaking strength than the 5x fluro.

The crossover seemed to be about 4x which rated much the same. So now what? I don't like mixing nylon and fluro in a leader and the nylon is a lot cheaper than the fluro and I have a supply of fluro in 4x and 5x. I don't want to spend the extra for weaker tippet material. I checked on line and the info from Rio is the same, copolymer nylon beats fluro. The only advantage fluro has now is for nymph where it should sink better but I haven't researched that yet.

Post subject: Re: Confusing find
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:21 am 

From the little research I've done on the subject it seems the copolymer is a little more stretchy than traditional monofilament. It is maybe slightly more buoyant than traditional mono line. Fluorocarbon is less stretchy and does not float.

I've never had a problem mixing mono and fluoro in leaders. In fact I rarely run fluoro for the whole leader. When running a nymph rig I almost always run a 7 1/2' 5x leader with a 6x fluoro tippet to the desired length.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:58 am 

I agree with Satch. The copolymer (nylon) is probably going to be stronger, with a given diameter, in just about all instances.

Michael,
If you have Cortland products available to you, I suggest trying some of their better tippet material. Guides are raving about their high end fluorocarbon......but their nylon (copolymer) is even rated strong yet.
It is most definitely worth a try.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:54 am 

Michael -

Here is a lot of information from George Anderson’s on this subject. I’m not sure offhand when this was published, but I seem to recall that the guys at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone (whom I greatly respect) also gave Trout Hunter’s Fluor their #1 recommendation:

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear- ... oft-umpqua

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:50 pm 

Thanks guys. Silverhilton, the article was very interesting and highly valuable too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:06 pm 

I'm glad we have members who are still fishing and investigating these things. Invite your friends in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:30 pm 

I fish a lot, gear, and flies.

Co-poly/hybrid offers the best compromise. Period.

If'n you be willing to tie your own leaders, Lake Forks, and Yo-Zuri are the best choices. I beat the heck outta lines, bangin' 'em off rocks, and off teeth that'll make big trout poop Mountain Dew, and some combination of tthe above will work great.

Lake Forks, stepped down, for trout is the cat's PJs. Likewise for Yo-Zuri.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:38 pm 

Further North, I have never heard of either maker so I can't comment on their value. I do find it interesting that there are other firms other than the traditional ones putting out good product. Development and Research for such fine tippet material is not cheap.

I do actually mix nylon bd floor but at larger diameters that 4X. I like to start with a 9' nylon 2X Rio tapered trout leader , add 1.5' to 2' of 3X fluro (to hold the indicator) and then add a fishing length of 4X (2'-4'). If I want a finer end, I'll keep the 4X at the shorter length. I end up with a minimum of 12' and may have 15' in gin clear low water. Less than 12' is for special circumstances.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:22 am 

Michael,I find it interesting that you use Flouro "to hold the indicator" since flouro doesn't float. That's my thinking in using it as tippet, especially on nymph rigs, that the little bit of extra sinking characteristic of the flouro line helps get the fly down.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:10 am 

A tuft of wool with a bit of floating on it floats well and the tippet material doesn't weigh much. The size of the indicator is more dependent on the weight f the nymph than the fluorcarbon line.