Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:02 am 

Yesterday I was told of a local farmer who ran into a problem with s local bank. The fellow was going to buy a local granary and went to see a banker about financing. The banker, slick younger man who waqsn't a local, said they'd be glad to help but the fellow would have to have a million dollars available for he operation. "Will that be a problem?" the banker asked.

The old fellow leaned back, pushed his ratty John Deere ball cap back, hooked his thumbs into his suspenders and said, "Yeah, it will be. I have decide which account to draw it from."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:23 am 

Friend of mine here runs a local bank branch. So one day this lady walks in, kind of a country looking woman, clean, hair pulled back, in her 60s, but not exactly well dressed. She tells Mike she wants to open some accounts, but she needs to talk with him about some things. He takes her into his office. She closes his door. And proceeds to tell him that she wants to deposit her 21 million dollars in lottery winnings in his bank but she has no idea how to split the money up.

She had worked at a textile mill until she was 40 or so, then had worked at a dry cleaners as a seamstress and clerk.

She wanted to buy some land and put up a triple-wide. She had gone to the lottery office and was completely confused by the tax situation (why did they take so much of my money? She had taken the cash option and was shocked when she discovered she would owe more than the 24% that was automatically assessed).

Mike put her check in a holding account and made arrangements for her to come back in a few days while he put together a plan for her. They hired her a lawyer, a tax accountant, a financial advisor (none of whom worked for the bank) - put together a team to help her manage her money. Last I heard, she lived over in Alabama but still kept her accounts with Mike. She did, indeed, buy a triple-wide. But she's happy, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:21 am 

The flight evidently continues. If you live in Georgia and come into some real money, the first step taken is to move somewhere else. Bux

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:37 pm 

I am a new member here and this is my first post, although I have participated with some of you on other forums in the past, and I’ll be making my formal introduction shortly, but if you don’t mind me interrupting this discussion I’d like to add a comment or 2...which I may do from time to time when I think I can offer something of relevance to this forum... and if you permit me to do so.

My wife and I have spent the past 18 summers on the Yellowstone River in Paradise Valley, midway between Livingston and Gardiner, MT, north of Yellowstone Park. A few years back, a woman who lives 1/4 miles up the road invited us to a Saturday brunch at her home together with a number of the local residents, most of whom we did not know at the time. (Incidentally, that woman was originally from Georgia, had gone to Emory in Atlanta, and later to the Univ. of N.C in Chapel Hill, NC before moving to MT)

The brunch wasn’t a formal affair, although most of us were decently dressed, by Montana standards, which generally means wearing a newer pair of clean blue jeans and a clean, ironed shirt. Right after we got there I noticed an old fellow standing off to the side of the room, wearing an old flannel shirt with a tattered collar, and a old pair of pants that looked like they might have been worn to put up a bale or two of hay in their day.

I made my way over to the old man and introduced myself. He told me his name was Pete. Pete Story. A grandfather had come to Montana years earlier, he said, when the Crow Indians lived on the east side of the river and the Story family were on the west side. He said that his wife-to-be came from California. Her father advised her not to go to Montana, saying that Pete will never amount to anything.

But when Pete told me that he and his wife bought 15,00O acres of land in the valley for $15.00 an acre, and later bought another 10,000 acres for $25.00 a acre (some of which sells for $100,000 or more today - if it were for sale) I knew Pete Story didn’t need to impress anybody by how he was dressed.

Pete asked me to come down to his ranch when I had the time to see some wagons that he had stored in his barn. He said they were old wagons, and that he never threw anything away. We talked for a pretty long time, before I finally made my way back to my wife who was sitting with another local couple at a table in another part of the room.

After I told them that I had been talking to Pete Story, the local guy at our table said “do you know who that guy is?” “I know he’s got a pretty big ranch a couple miles up the valley” I replied.

“Yes, and there’s a Story mansion over in Bozeman, with a statue of Nelson Story on one street corner. There’s a Story Valley over there as well.”

When I later saw those old wagons, I learned that Pete’s great-grandfather had driven them to Montana from Texas a few years back. Well, quite a few years actually. And a movie and been made about that cattle drive.
(Here’s a link with some more info on Nelson Story for anyone who’s interested: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Story )

Although Pete died several years ago, I’m sure those old wagons are still in the barn on the ranch, now operated by Pete’s son, Mike. (You can also arrange with a local guide to go fly fishing for large trout in a lake on the ranch, or to stay on the ranch and go elk hunting in the fall.)

As an aside, you Georgia guys might also be interested to know there’s a Georgia fellow, a former accountant by the name of Blank, that owns some land either right next to the Story ranch, or very close to it. You may have heard of him. Arthur Blank?

And there’s even a North Carolina guy that owns property a couple miles farther up the valley. My wife received some wine as a gift from a friend of hers who is the caretaker of that guy’s property. It’s a 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon from the guy’s vineyard in North Carolina. I haven’t tried the wine, but my sister-in-law who has tried it, say’s it’s terrible. The label says it’s a desert wine, called a Finish Line, from the Childress Vineyards. Maybe Richard Childress would do better if he stuck with NASCAR?

When I’m not in Montana, I’m at my home in small farming community located in southeast PA where I’ve lived for the past 50 years...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:04 pm 

Good tale and welcome. Look forward to your "forma" introductory post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:03 pm 

Silver,
Welcome to the "Board." Southeast Pennsylvania is one of my ex-home places too. Lived in Lancaster from 1961 until 1979 just before we moved to North Carolina... first Chapel Hill and then to Charlotte.
I don't know if the New Holland Airport is still there, but I was a "weekend" flight instructor there for ten years +. Our daughter was raised there ...and even though her business is here in NC/SC/GA, her Christmas gifts to her best clients still come from Achenbach's Bakery in Leola.
Cheers, Bux
(aka Ed Laine).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:57 pm 

Welcome, Silverhilton. Always great to get some new people here.

Brad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:46 pm 

Welcome to the forum Silverhilton.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:47 pm 

Silverhilton, Welcome to our corner of the interweb.
Wade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:33 pm 

One of the fellows in camp with us last week was a stock broker who started his own firm in 1984 and now has 15 partners and "stops by the office" 3 days a week. He told the story of the widow lady who came to his office one day and said she needed to talk to him in private. He took her to his office and she said she had some money she wanted to invest with him because she'd heard such good things about him from her girlfriend who was also a client. Long story short is that this "little old lady" worked part time at the local Meijer (regional competition for Wal Mart) store as a greeter and just loved to take a roll of quarters to work with her so she could hand them out to the children so they could have a ride on the rocking horse at the front of the store... Turns out she had a touch over 3 million dollars she invested with him and she never ran out of quarters for the kids.