Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: I'm outta here
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:08 pm 

Don't need to tell Rex this, but lip-landing walleyes isn't way up there on the "smart things to do" list, either.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:26 am 

Well, I'm back. It was a great trip. The lodge we stayed at was absolutely wonderful. Comfortable, clean, good and plentiful food, comfy bed, hot water. Gary and Cindy Wallace along with their daughter Melissa, and hired man Jim, work their tales off to make sure every detail is taken care of. Example; every morning before we got to the boats each one was swept with a Dewalt battery powered shop vac, sponged dry of any rain water or wave slosh that got in, and wiped clean and dry with a rag. Minnow bucket was checked and restocked. When returning in the evening you were asked to put your stringer of fish and minnow bucket over the side and go have a cocktail before dinner. Your fish were filleted and frozen, one fish per bag, with your name and the size and species of the fish, and frozen. Just outstanding service..

Now on to the fishing. The Walleye fishing was terrific! I would guess the average fish ran 21-22" with numerous over 26" caught. The limit is 4 fish with only one over 18". We had more trouble filling the 3 under 18" than the over. The Pike were plentiful and as hungry and stupid as Pike are everywhere. They readily ate the flies I tied and I caught a bunch. Biggest was about 32" with a bunch of them 24-28" Lots of fun to catch on a flyrod.

Now the real story on the Brookies. Yes they are there. BUUUTTTT.... They are in the Foch (pronounced fosh) River which feeds into Nagagami Lake. To reach the Brookies one must motor up one rapids and stop below the second set of rapids. Then hike about half a mile directly through the woods with no marked trail, or follow the winding river for closer to a mile along the edge to get to the pools where the Brook Trout live. The other factor being that the Floch River is a closed Walleye and Pike breeding sanctuary until the 15th of June, the day we flew out. Last but not least is the Mosquitos.. Oh my good lord the Mosquitos!!!!

Apparently the website for Timberwolf Lodge was designed by the Algoma District something or other agency blah blah blah, without much direct input from the actual resort owners. I was not the first one to ask about them although I was the first one to ask while the river was closed and Gary, the resort owner, could not answer the question of whether the river was also closed to catch and release Trout fishing. Did I mention the Mosquitos??? One would have had to have a full body Kevlar suit with Kevlar shield face netting to keep from getting bitten thousands of time, and then the little Bass turds might have just gotten enough relatives around to carry you off into the forest. One evening there was enough breeze to keep them at bay so we could sit on the deck outside the lodge and enjoy cocktails for an hour or so. Nearer to darkness it just wasn't possible, no matter the amount of 100% DEET used to keep them at bay. They were thick enough that a couple of the folks actually inhaled them while breathing. Inside each room has an aerosol dispenser which squirts a tiny blast of something every 15 minutes and it does a very effective job of controlling them indoors, but outdoors is a no go.

As for pictures, I took only one picture of a fish, a very nice 26" Walleye, which I will post soon. There was a threat of rain every day so I didn't feel like taking my camera out in the boat with me, so I just kept my phone on my belt under my Gore Tex and took very few pictures.

My one Walleye picture. I could have taken more, but they would have been nearly indistinguishable from each other.
ImageTWL1 by Rex&Bo, on Flickr

We met on North Twin Island a couple of days at lunch time to compare fishing spots and swap boat partners for the afternoon.
ImageTWL3 by Rex&Bo, on Flickr

We fished out of 18' Cedar strip boats. They are very comfortable, stable, and much quieter than aluminum. Most had 15 hp Yamaha outboards with one 20 hp Mercury, and 20 hp Tohatsu.
ImageTWL4 by Rex&Bo, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:04 pm 

Best excuse for not catching trout I've seen in ages! Sounds like a great trip.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:35 pm 

Colston Newton wrote:
I do not want to hear about a monster brookie you almost had at hand when a pike ate it.

I've never had a pike (or a musky) eat a trout, but I've lost bass, walleye, and a two foot pike that way.

Last edited by Further North on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:35 pm 

Doug G wrote:
I hope you are catching the heck out of walleye, brookies, and pike. Just watch your hands around the pike. They gots toothes.

...and gill rakers...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 pm 

Sounds like a fun trip - a 32" pike is a good fish, glad you enjoyed catching them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:39 am 

Those boats look beautiful!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:52 am 

I'm with Greg: those boats are beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:33 pm 

They are. I've always been a fan of other people's wooden boats...I love the look and the craftsmanship...but thinking of the maintenance makes my wallet and free time hurt...

...and I've learned I need a boat with storage. Can't stand stuff out on the deck, particularly when chucking flies.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:09 pm 

Well Done Satchel! What a great trip and the fishing sounds amazing. Too bad you didn't get into the big brookies.