Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rods with bad juju?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:54 pm 

I sometimes wonder if some rods have bad juju.

I used a 7' Orvis Golden Eagle on my my most recent trout trip and, as always, caught nothing with it even in a trout pond. I thought the rod was going to have good juju since I spent $200 for it and then won that much in a poker game that night. Hasn't worked out that way.

I have another rod, a Fenwick Woodstream 8' 6 weight that I made and I was sure would have good juju. I took a brown with its first cast and nary a thing since and that was 13 years ago.

Arecent boo acquisition may have bad juju, too, but maybe not. The first time I used it was on my last trip with Coley. Neither of us caught anything from the Bullpasture. Jury's still out on that one.

I guess I could ID others but those are the two that stand out. (I have several that have excellent juju.)

What do y'all think.

Post subject: Re: Rods with bad juju?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:35 pm 

Yep. I'm wondering if it's fiberglass that's the problem. I traded you that Lamiglass outfit and it has such bad karma that someone stole the reel you gave up for it. I tried a Scott F and it was too soft to adequately set the hook on anything but a bluegill. I currently have an Eagle Claw 7-foot, 7-wt. that I cannot even catch a bream with.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:08 pm 

Nah...it's not the glass. That rod we swapped was OK, just a bit limber for my taste. Took several nice rainbows with it and a real hoss brookie. Maybe the best roll caster I've ever owned, just a bit short. Wonder where I sent it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:26 pm 

Since there's no such thing as rod ju-ju (only baseball bats, saddles, and shoes can have ju-ju), no. You may want to look at the shoes you're wearing. Bad shoe ju-ju has created 50 year old virgins, caused divorces, and probably is the explanation why Donald Trump says such absurd sheet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:34 pm 

I don't have any rods with anti-fish catching JuJu...but I've got one rod that likes to fall off boats. 4 times now. And it's not a cheap rod...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:28 pm 

Good juju rods... I've settled on three (two Scott Gs, a Winston WT). They match the speed of my cast perfectly. Other rods will cut the wind better, and some hotshots can take my own rods and throw to the backing, but at "fish-catching" ranges, the rods are as accurate as I need them to be. (This is all prefaced on when I had time and a place to fly fish).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:00 pm 

I'm down to four rods....and all are trout magnets:
The nicer one is a custom cane that Mark Wendt built from scratch. I scooped it up at a GOTC auction for peanuts...it was costly, but the rod is so good I still feel guilty for how little I paid for it.
The second that gets the most use, on the little streams, is a $125 Cabela's, CZN, nymph rod. It does everything you ask it to and I'm not worried about breaking or repairing it- Cabela's warranty covers that.
I still have a couple of very nice Winston's ready to go if needed.
My poison is Hardy reels....I love using them matched with the rods and lines.
So far, so good....and I'm not wishing for anything....except better traction and balance.
Bux

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:44 am 

Tailingendloop wrote:
Good juju rods... I've settled on three (two Scott Gs, a Winston WT). They match the speed of my cast perfectly. Other rods will cut the wind better, and some hotshots can take my own rods and throw to the backing, but at "fish-catching" ranges, the rods are as accurate as I need them to be. (This is all prefaced on when I had time and a place to fly fish).

Robbie, don't feel bad. If you lived in Brevard right now, you'd be dodging floating logs, not fishing. They've had a helluva last couple of weeks with flooding. And the water was high from June 2018 until maybe mid April this year.