Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:39 pm 

....and for the first time ever,I put them on in my living room.Walked out the door,vest on,rod in hand,an Orvis Clearwater 6' in 2 wt.A short walk, about 300 yds across what is soon to be a hemp field,walked downstream about 3/4 of a mile and fished my way back upstream.Weather was near perfect,clear skies,temps hi 60's.Missed strikes on 3 fish,manged to set the hook on 4 small brookies from 5" to 10".Now thats a good day.Next week I'm going to try to get over to the West Kill.I like the convenience of having a viable creek so close to home,but I do love going over the Hudson and making my way across Rt 28 where I have decent access to the Esopus Creek,Schoharie,West Kill and a few other small tribs to the Esopus.Sometimes I often hit a few of them in the same trip,all within 45 mins or so from home.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:50 pm 

Nice to be out isn’t it? Was out for about two hours 12:00-2:00. Three in the 8-9 inch range plus one 15 inches barely hooked. Tan caddis hatch. Now waiting for Louie the Springer to get done at the groomers with his summer trim. Feel sorry for the old guy.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 pm 

Damnation! I blew it this last time. Right around Mother's Day. there is a hatch in the Northeast US and a tad earlier her in the south...we call the insect the "Mother's Day Caddis." It has a black body and the usual tan wings. I would have killed them this past week and I had the wrong fly boxes in the vest.... That said, there is no excuse for those in PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, ME, VT & NH to miss the once a year opportunity.
Bux

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:33 pm 

NYFLY, thanks for mentioning Brookies. Where I grew up in Southern Oregon, we had some in the mountain streams to the East. Over populated and stunted (yours would have been the big ones, but oh so pretty.

Bux, I've heard mention of the Mother's Day caddis before, shame you missed a good hatch.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:12 pm 

Only thing I've seen in this creek is brookies.I have fished upstream about 3 miles form here in the state park a number of times and I often walk my dogs on a trail up there that follows it,often watch them as we are walking.I have only seen one other person fishing it.He tells me there are browns,and thats all he's caught but I havent seen any.From what I can research,NY has never stocked this creek.Its got its headwaters in and travels thru Mass for a couple miles and it seems Mass has stocked browns in the past,but not in the last 50 yrs.I guess there could be some,but I have a feeling the guy I spoke with doesnt know a brookie from a brown.Most of them are small,but I did catch a 12 incher.....3 times.There is a small deep pool up in the park,looks to be well over ten ft deep.At this stretch the creek is about 20 ft below the trail and I can stand on a rock directly over it and watch.There were about 7 fish in there for an entire season and I would often watch them feeding.I'd watch as some of the smaller ones would slowly move to the head of the pool and see the big one come out from under a rock and chase them.Well that was the guy I caught 3 times that season.Most are in the 5 to 8 in range.The guy that gave me permission to fish his stretch of the creek claims he's never seen anything but brook trout and suckers.