Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Why?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:09 am 

A recent browse through Home Depot and I find they are selling refrigerators that cost upwards of $3,000. I cannot think of any reason why a fridge needs to cost that much. Do they prepare your meals?

Post subject: Re: Why?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:12 am 

No, but they talk to you and play music videos...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:12 am 

And then theres the feature that lets you see whats in it without opening the door,I dont get that one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:33 am 

I think you can see what's in them from your cell phone now. So if you're at the store and aren't smart enough to know if you need milk, you're phone will show you.

They have all sorts crap built in so you'll get notices that you need maintenance and other devices to help them get more money from you.

On the other hand, why should a pickup have an $88k sticker price?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:00 am 

ColoradoNative wrote:
On the other hand, why should a pickup have an $88k sticker price?

Bingo.

As long as someone is willing to pay $5k for a refrigerator (yes, 5K) or $90k for a pickup truck, the manufacturers would be stupid not to sell them that. If someone wants to be able to tell how much milk in left in the bottle in the door of their refrigerator while that person is 78 miles away from home, and they're willing to pay for it, someone ought to sell them that.

It's like this internet thing. None of us "need" it. It's a silly luxury. My wife drives a car that cost more than my grandfather paid for a 750 acre farm. And my car cost more than any house my parents ever lived in and half as much as our own first house.

FTR, our refrigerator cost me $1450 eight years ago. It doesn't have a camera or a see through door. It does have four compartments, two of which can be converted from refrigerator to freezer, and it has two separate compressors and four evaporators.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 am 

I guess they are installing tv monitors on fridges so you can watch stuff and connect to the "internet of things," which means controlling every little device and appliance in your house to a smart home. I really don't want my life to become so dependent on digitilization. All of this just steers me more and more toward moving into an old rustic cabin and just fishing and looking for bigfoot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:35 pm 

I'm probably as technologically savvy as most any 62 year old, but I agree, stuff is getting too interconnected. As far as that rustic cabin, you'll get a neighbor eventually who'll put up a 5G receiver and then you'll be on the grid again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:37 am 

The problem is that enough people buy these things that they become the norm and you won't be able to get one without it.

Try buying a new car without all of the lane departure and auto braking crap. When we bought my wife's car, we wanted a diesel SUV. That meant Audi, BMW or Mercedes. We couldn't get a Beemer or Benz without all of the lane departure crap on it. On one of those two, you could shut it off, but you had to do it manually ever time you started the car.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:21 pm 

I'm curious why the lane departure tech is "crap"?

Is it just that you don't want to pay for it? Or is there something you don't like about it?

We test drove a few cars that had it when we bought our last car...it wasn't a must have, but Id' take it if it was included and it didn't drive the price up.

People got all weird about anti-lock brakes at first too, IIRC.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:02 pm 

Rode out to Valley of Fire with some friends that have a new Nissan of some sort. Very narrow and winding road and that POS beeped non-stop at ever corner and Ron was not doing one thing wrong.
Most annoying thing ever and he couldn't turn it off.

When driving the Benz and the Beemer, one would actually try to steer you back into the lane and apply the brakes at the same time. The other beeped and the steering wheel buzzed.
This happened with both when trying to change lanes. I mean it was so annoying it was horrible.
If you can't stay in your own lane, you should not be driving, pretty simple.