Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: When can the bar open?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:33 am 

From another thread, a post by Edward W. Laine:

Quote:
Pick a scotch, a bourbon or even a gin and stick with it....or go with all three...
Discipline is a key....5:00 P.M. not before, and quit at dinner....that's wine time.
Bux

I was fine with Ed's post until he put P.M. up after the 5.

I'm fine with drinking after 5. But waiting until 5 P.M. How about 5 A.M.?

For example, say I'm going to Steeplechase. They open the gates at 9am. It takes an hour to set up the tables, tents, chairs, get the food out and the bar opened. So by 10am, it's time to start drinking. If I wait until 1700, hell the whole thing is over by 1630.

Or if I'm going fishing and I wake up in the cabin in NC and it's raining. What I am supposed to do? Wait all day until 1700?

Or I'm duck hunting and we've limited out by 8AM. The day is done. I'm in Humphrey, Arkansas where there is nothing to do but drink or do something else that married men should not do when their wives are 400 miles away.

These German-Finns and their rules.

Colston, if I add, say, tonic water to my gin, or ice to my bourbon, does that then make my drink a non-drink so I can start drinking at 0900, if the occasion demands?

I may need to get Wade Caler's input too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 am 

Simple compromise to Ed's rule......its always 5 oclock somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 am 

5 p.m. is a general rule of thumb. It doesn't apply to special events like steeplechases. (One of my more uproarious drunks was incurred at the Balvenie sample table at a steeplechase. Of course, I was led astray by El Doctor, may he rest in peace.) I don't recommend drinking all day just because its raining. I've never done it. Maybe you should consult Boyd Russell.

No, adding water or tonic does not convert beverages from alcoholic. After the first couple have water, etc., in them they tend to turn into straight booze anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:27 am 

As an adjunct to NY's observation:

Back in the early days when the Supreme Court met in the Senate basement it had a rule that said no alcohol unless it was raining. One day, the lawyers and the justices were all kinda parched and John Marshall, in one of his greater opinions, held that the court had nationwide jurisdiction and would take judicial notice it was raining somewhere in the jurisdiction and ordered, "Break out the jugs, boys."

(I believe the court decided Marbury vs. Madison later that afternoon.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:32 am 

Colston Newton wrote:
I don't recommend drinking all day just because its raining. I've never done it. Maybe you should consult Boyd Russell.

As I recall, and my memory may be hazy because, after all, I WAS drinking, on our trips to Canton, Mr. Russell and I both were indulging well before noon and well after, for that matter.

Now, y'all who may not have been around us, should know that we do NOT fall out, over, or under. There was one evening in which the stairs, up to the sleeping porch at the Granary in Virginia, kept getting steeper as I climbed, but that was not my fault. That was due to a ground fault in my bartender, who shorted out, kicked a breaker, blew a fuse, and stopped adding Tonic to my Hendricks...with no warning.
WADE!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:26 pm 

Douglas, there are proper ways to imbibe at an earlier hour that are completely acceptable. Bloody Marys and Bloody Ceasars were made for morning drinking. One must get their daily dosage of vegetables in as early as possible. Coffee is typically a morning drink and it is totally acceptable to add Bailey's or a fine quality Bourbon Crème to a cup or three of coffee to get things started. Certainly either of these choices would not be frowned upon by those who frown upon such things nearly as quickly as a glass of bourbon with an ice cube at 0700.

One must always keep a judicious eye on their bartender, especially those who they "know" and "trust". Those amiable fellows on a fishing trip with a large group would normally be one of the few exceptions. But then it was Wade bartending and it was good Gin, and I believe I heard Wade say something about not wanting you to overdose on Quinine since there was relatively low probability of you contracting malaria.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:49 pm 

Regarding the Gin and tonic afternoon/ evening, I was simply allowing mr. Gilmore to continue with his opinions and storytelling uninterrupted. Not once did I have to pry the glass out of his hand.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:15 pm 

Mr. Gilmore is one of the few men I have ever met that always has one hand positioned as though gesticulating ....whilst the other hand curiously wanders seeking for something to latch on to....food, drinks all the way down to pie and ice cream...whatever.
Mr. Newton is of a different breed...more selective...he always has a near-full glass in hand yet the held goblet could well belong any careless person in the room....put the near empty glass down near the near full and, ergo. leave with the latter in hand.
Both, skilled, colourful and charming gentlemen....that's why they deserve the "u".and that's why ....

Bux

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:42 pm 

https://tasteofcountry.com/jake-owen-drink-all-day/