Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:25 pm 

I'm gonna say this:

Death or not, one of the great privileges and blessings God has given me in this life is that of having met and fished with so many that came from the old board and from this one, including the three or four jerks that I met. I know I'm going to leave out someone or several, but that's because I'm forgetful, not because they weren't important. And the order of listing here, beyond perhaps the first two, isn't a ranking, not at all:

First, and foremost, Ed Laine. Ed was the first from the old board that I really spent any time with. We went camping and we fished a bit and we were like older and younger brother, or maybe just really old friends who had just met each other. I've truly enjoyed Edward - we've fished in Montana, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, and Arkansas and we've bird hunted together, dined together, and gotten turned around in more than a few places, mostly due to me talking and not paying attention. And Edward introduced me to some fine gentlemen - Jack Elmer, Esq., Vinny Cashman, Rupert Collins, and Boyd Russell.

Secondly, Colston Newton. I'm sometimes sentimental. Standing at the treeline in Gettysburg, with Colston and Edward, near the center of where the one-mile wide alignment of Pettigrew's and Trimble's and Pickett's 12,500 soldiers had stood, looking across the field to that oh so far away Ziegler's Hill, with the copse of trees where Hancock's men were waiting, with Colston talking about the battle and his kin who had the proper sense to execute three column lefts and skeedaddle...and seeing the wispy fog and hearing the ancient voices whispering in the air on that morning.... "For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863, the brigades are in position behind the rail fence, the guns are laid and ready in the woods and the furled flags are already loosened to break out and Pickett himself with his long oiled ringlets and his hat in one hand probably and his sword in the other looking up the hill waiting for Longstreet to give the word and it's all in the balance, it hasn't happened yet, it hasn't even begun yet, it not only hasn't begun yet..." I will never, ever forget that day. Thank you Colston. And especially thank you for Coley. He adopted me as his uncle. A greater honor I could not ask.

There are those who are fishing in other waters now: LtCol. Ed Kelleher, my good friend and a great mentor to my oldest. Jack Hanley, a great man and the most generous fellow. Fred Bridge, a man that loved fishing more than any I can imagine. James Moore, not always the easiest man to be around, but it was a pleasure getting to know him.

John Roach, ever the gentleman. I don't know that I've ever heard a complaint, a gripe, or even a frown from him, not even when it rained an entire weekend in Virginia.

Wade Caler, maker of Gin and tonics, with no tonic. Wade's given me almost as much lasting pain as my heart surgeon...

Tony Delaney. Long phone calls and affirmations and just simple how you doin'.

Greg Holland who keeps the entire thing going.

Carl DeFazio - the artist with a camera, a simple man who is more complicated that even he knows...Carl is as generous as anyone.

Sante Giuliani who humbled me to no end when he gave me his Nonna's Braciole recipe. An Italian giving a Scot a recipe for braciole. Unheard of.

Brad Morgan who went to Montana with us and played the guitar and is a wealth of knowledge of the inner workings of marketing than I ever understood.

Gene Langston, the 2nd person I met through the board, and his friend Jim.

Rolf Jacobson, Richie Farino, Tony "Fish Magnet" Macchiarolo (sp?), Dave Schmezer, guys from the old place.

Eric Peper...what a fine fellow. We fished the Maddy but I never got to meet you on the Henry's Fork...and that is my loss.

Satchel of Fort Wayne, good guy for a Hoosier :) . Seriously, a good fellow.

Brian Greer and his lovely wife. Brian's one of those guys that I wish lived just down the road. Really. Watching him teach his wife how to fish was one of the great pleasures.

Tn Hillbilly and his vivacious wife: woman can flat drive up bids at an auction. My homeboy.

Robbie Robertson - moved off to Florida to get a good job and had to leave good fishing...but he's doing good and I'm happy for him. Gone a long way from living in a plywood shack, Robbie. Proud of you, buddy.

Michael the Yank who moved to New Zealand - good man. I'm glad we met.

Buttonwood Bob. A great adventurer.

Fred's son, Eric. Dude is a chip off the old block and that's a great compliment.

Thank you, a truly hearty and sincere thank you to each of you. You have made me laugh, some of you have made me angry at times, all of you have kept me sane, and I owe each of you a debt.

.... we all know that, we have come too far with too much at stake and that moment doesn't need even a fourteen-year-old boy to think this time. Maybe this time with all this much to lose and all this much to gain...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:28 pm 

Dear Douglas...
You have hit most all the high-spots and even a few of the "edges" we've witnessed and waded through. I strongly suspect that Fred Bridge, Jack H., Ed K. and the others who have gone ahead to different waters are still watching with glee our stumbling efforts, gaffs and tumbles.
I recall doing a graceless triple twist and a sit-down one day. And, as I stumbled and splashed my way to the bank, all akimbo, to "regroup"....I heard some muffled laughter....there were at least two of them .... Out loud I said something derisive...and the laughing grew louder.
Like a fool, I too started laughing, but admittedly with a stray tear or two.
Bux

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:34 pm 

I hope, one day, to have a mishap like that, and to hear the mocking laughter of any and all of this group in the near distance as I try and rectify the situation. My only other hope is that I have a very nice Brown trout on the end of my line and that I do not lose it during my gaff. Then I can hold it up and say "go ahead and laugh"!!!!!

Thank you Douglas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:54 pm 

Doug, you are a lucky fellow and in recounting your blessings reminded me that I have plenty as well. Thank you.