Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Monday meander
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:36 pm 

A friend, Robby, and I arranged to head out fishing Monday and he picked me up at 7:30. We headed to a local river and were on the water about 8:45. The weather was overcast but warm with little threat of rain. We started working a big run and I soon had a take but lost the fish after less than a minute. I was working the top end and dropped a #14 and #16 double nymph setup into the current. The indicator vanished and I was into a strong fish. It ran across the main current and jumped revealing a decent sized rainbow. I got it back on my side with a couple more aerial displays but then it headed downstream to my buddy’s position. Fortunately he was changing flies and I could just raise my rod and let the fish go past. About now the fish got into a position where I could see it was foul hooked in the abdomen. Wonderful, not! After many ‘almost there’ moments, I finally netted a 3 pound rainbow.

I headed back to my original position and continued working the top of the run. Robby had added some weight to his rig and immediately hooked a fish. Having been a guide in Colorado, he knew what to do to get the fish in the net before I could get in position to photograph the battle. I did get there in time for him to release a nice fat rainbow of about 2 pounds.

We didn’t get any more action from that position, so we crossed the river to try the opposite side of the current. I spotted a good brown but it disappeared before we could fish to it. We worked the area thoroughly but only got a couple of light hits without hooking up. We headed downstream to a large hole and started fishing the current at the top end. I quickly hooked a nice fish that ran down into the main part of the hole and got under one of the logs that are a fixture. As I was re-rigging, Robby hooked and landed a ‘bow of about a pound. We each hooked another fish in that spot before the disturbance put the fish out of sorts.

I moved about 30 feet downstream while Robby went on further where we had seen a very large boil of a rise. I had to lengthen my dropper before I could get any action and then I hooked 3 and landed 1 all peas-in-a-pod to Robby’s 1 pounder. Robby came back with tales of no luck just as I hooked and landed yet another 1 pounder.

I broke for lunch while Robby (who had snacked on and off for the last hour) returned to his original fishing position upstream. After lunch I returned to my hot spot and hooked two smaller rainbows only to loose them and Robby lost another the same size. Robby suggested we drive further upstream for the afternoon and I thought we had done enough damage there, so off we went. We stopped at a narrow run where I caught the smallest fish of the day at about 6” on a #16 PA. Robby on the other hand landed a 2 pound rainbow from the upper portion of the run. We worked our way upstream and found a few rising fish. Robby got a couple in the 14” range while I watched him show me how it’s done.

We continued to move upstream picking off the occasional fish often from difficult water, i.e. shallow and slow.

I checked out a huge flat but with very little current and heaps of algae, fishing (even with guys) was impossible. By the end of the day we had missed or lost more than we landed but deduced it had been a good day and was better than going in to an office on Monday. We ended up with about 10-12 landed, Unfortunately for me, not evenly distributed.