Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Busy days
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:03 pm 

Friday: The first real rain we’ve had in a while coloured up some of the local rivers last Friday morning but it wasn’t enough to increase the flows by much. I knew the water would drop and clear soon after the rain quit but I had to wait until after a midday appointment to head west. I picked a site that I had done well at a couple of weeks ago and hit the water about 2:30 pm. Sure enough, it was cloudy and had doubled the flow but still wasn’t up to average level. I tied on a #14 BHPT and headed to the top end of a hole with a long shoulder. I blind fished the inflow by casting up onto the shallow and letting the rig drift over the shoulder. It took about 10 minutes but a nice foot long brown hit and I had my first fish. I worked the area for the next hour and landed two more including one of 2.5 pounds. I then moved on to the long run I thought would really pay off as the river cleared. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a single touch for the rest of the afternoon.

Saturday: I chose the same river but several miles upstream as the target for this day. I should have known something was amiss when my partner for the day texted me at 6:30 to say he couldn’t come because he had to stay within mad-dash range of a toilet all night and was still in distress. The river certainly looked good as it had cleared overnight and had good fishable flows. I saw a few rises but they were widely scattered and infrequent. I fished and fished and fished without any joy. I finally caught a 2 pounder on a swinging nymph but I had only two more takes that I missed until I left shortly after lunch.

Sunday: Mary was to arrive at 7:30 for the trip east but she rang at 7:15 to say her car’s battery was flat so I drove the 15 minutes to pick her up for the day. We finally arrived and got on the water about 9:00. A tributary flowed in here and there was a nice shear line where it flowed into the main river. The rain on Friday had increased the level of both just a little but they were clear and inviting. The weather was mainly overcast but the sun peeked through often enough to brighten the day. I placed Mary where she didn’t have to worry about her backcast while I started at the outflow. A couple of casts and my indicator disappeared as it drifted out of the tributary toward the main river. I lifted to set the hook on nothing and it took a few more tries before the next disappearance was rewarded with a nice fish.

It turned out to be a fat rainbow of about 1.5 pounds which was released to grow for next year

I moved Mary up to where I was to give her a shot at where the fish seemed to be feeding. It wasn’t long before she was into a feisty ‘bow.

While I offered instructions, Mary handled a fish that really didn’t want to come to hand.

Eventually we managed to lad a nice rainbow only slightly smaller than the one I had landed.

We continued to work the outflow but the fish were less cooperative than they had seemed at first. There was the occasional gust of wind but calm periods meant all we had to do was wait a couple of minutes for easy casting. A few fish started to rise but there wasn’t a hatch. I thought the wind gusts were probably knocking terrestrials off the trees which were drifting down the tributary where they were being picked off by waiting fish. I switched to a big Royal Wulff in case the fish were still looking for cicadas from the recent hatch. The rises were not out of reach and a cast to a ring produced a solid take. The fish made a good run and put a healthy bend in the 5wt. I managed to not screw things up and got to practice may netting technique.

A lovely 3 pound rainbow was my reward.

Mary was also using a Royal Wulfff but in a #14. She was getting a bit discouraged with no takes but stuck with the plan and was finally successful in fooling a passing rainbow. She got her knuckles rapped when the fish made its first strong run but stayed with it

She got lucky and I didn’t knock it off with the net to land her first fish on a dry fly. The fat 2 pound rainbow had taken the fly really deeply so I snipped the fly off and we released it rather than kill it just to get the fly back.

I spotted a nice fish rising near some willows about 30’ upstream and snuck across. I switched to a #16 parachute Adams to work the shallower water. The fish continued to rise steadily while I got into casting range. I peeled off enough line to reach his position and put the PA about 3’ ahead of the last rise point. There was a big swirl and splash, YES! LIFT! nothing. The fish looked like a good brown but that refusal was enough to put it down and after several drifts and no more rises, I went back to the outflow. We weren’t getting any takes so I crossed the river to fish the main river’s riffle inflow (I thought I might push some fish over toward Mary). I swung a wet fly and promptly hooked a small rainbow which quickly fell off. The next cast was taken by a much bigger fish which I couldn’t control as it shot across the river and well into my backing to be closer to where Mary was than my side. I started to move across the top of the riffle when the tippet finally gave way *sigh*. I worked the whole riffle inflow without any more success. I waded back across to rejoin Mary and we continued to fish for rising rainbows. I managed to take one more of about a pound but that was all. Oh, yeah, the brown over under the willows started rising again but stopped when I made one cast, so we decided to call it a day.

Post subject: Re: Busy days
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:30 pm 

I do love them wallowing piggies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 pm 

Thanks Mike!

The towering piles of snow (we got ~12 over the weekend) should be beaten dowm by the rain and flooding predicted over the net three days...so your tales of actual open water fishing are much appreciated!

...question: is that device on mary's hand/wrist for fishing?

I know some young folks transitioning from gear that might find such a thing useful if it's designed to stop them from rolling their wrists.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:03 pm 

FN, The item on Mary's wrist is a brace from when she had carpel tunnel surgery. She doesn't always use it but sometimes her wrist gets sore and the brace helps. It could probably be used for bracing a wrist for any reason. I find placing the forefinger alongside the cork prevents the worst of rolling your wrist on the backcast.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:29 pm 

Thanks Mike. I sorta figured that, but wasn't sure.

mls wrote:
I find placing the forefinger alongside the cork prevents the worst of rolling your wrist on the backcast.

Me too...but some of these younger guys don't listen...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:54 pm 

It also improves accuracy by pointing where you want the cast to go. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:03 am 

Arthritis in your thumbs provides a great incentive to use the forefinger trick.

John

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:35 pm 

Damn you, MLS. Damn you to hell.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:12 pm 

What did I do this time Gene?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:39 pm 

Caught a lot of big fish!