Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Steak "Doneness" guide
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:53 pm 

The rest of the story: https://www.traegergrills.com/smokenomi ... ne%27s+Day

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:13 pm 

I grew up on "what have you done?" beef as my mother preferred it that way. Go figure? I can still recall my amazement at tasting a medium steak after I had left home and had enough coins to buy a steak dinner! She also loved to cook things in a pressure cooker and tended to use the smoke alarm as her vegetable timer.

Ah well,I survived and benefited from other maternal things she did.

Brad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:32 pm 

Oldfrat wrote:
I grew up on "what have you done?" beef as my mother preferred it that way. Go figure? I can still recall my amazement at tasting a medium steak after I had left home and had enough coins to buy a steak dinner! She also loved to cook things in a pressure cooker and tended to use the smoke alarm as her vegetable timer.

Ah well,I survived and benefited from other maternal things she did.

Brad

My mom was the same. My brother claims we both learned to cook out of self defense.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:24 pm 

I grew up with a mother...and a maternal grandmother doing most of the food preparation. Grandma was "old school" she had seasoning and spices down-pat, but always opted to over cook.
Mom learned from her mother, but eased off on the spices and the overcooked time limits.
My wife's mother was a fair-to-middling cook. Let's call it "Syracuse, NY marginal."
If it came out of an A & P box, can or wrapping, it was suitable to serve. I ate less at their house than most guests.
My new bride/cook, hadn't a clue about spices, timing, cuts of meat, etc. Those early years were difficult when it came to methodology at the stove and oven. Even more so because I was in the U.S. Army in Georgia with a skinny 2nd Lt's pay that didn't reach far at the commissary.
It was all uphill from there...thank goodness...and the bride became an excellent chef. She was creative and took risks that appealed to her...therefore, over 80% were eatable. She's still here, I'm still here, and there are few complaints. ;) ;) Bux
P.S. All of our dogs ate well ;) often secretly.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:59 pm 

Bux:

Quote:
'Cause its the first long kiss on a second date
Momma's all worried when you get home late
And droppin' the ring in the spaghetti plate
'Cause you're hands are shakin' so much
And its the way that she looks with her eyes and her hair
Eatin' burnt suppers the whole first year
And askin' for seconds to keep her from tearin' up
Yeah man, that's the good stuff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:17 am 

Stewed prunes, Kadota figs and oatmeal for breakfast
Peanut butter and jelly on Wonder Bread for lunch.
Cold cuts, scrambled eggs, or Spam for dinner.
That was our family menu in the '40s.
I searched until I found a lady whose hobby is gourmet cooking. We've been together 55 years, and I've been 20 pounds overweight the whole time.

John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:51 pm 

I would say the Ribeye I had tonight was about 134 degrees. The Lovely Missus told me last night that I needn't get her anything for Valentine's Day today cause she'd already taken care of it. She brought a package of 3 steaks home from work and bought a new bag of charcoal so I could fix her a nice steak dinner for the special day today. I was just fine with that. It worked out just great. Youngest daughter came over since she was off work and had no plans and joined us for the wonderful dinner of Ribeye and baked tater. 3 1/2 minutes a side on a rippin hot charcoal fed Weber worked just like it always does. Perfect!!