Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: On The Road Again...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:24 pm 

I didn't pick up a guitar until I was 3 months short of my 52nd birthday, 8 years ago. I've never had a lesson. I became a reasonable utility rhythm guitar player. I picked up a Dobro 2 1/2 years ago. I'm a passable Dobro player. I play with a 67 year old bass player who started a year later than I did. His son started playing guitar when he was 11 or 12, which is 30 years ago, and now plays guitar, mandolin, and banjo. We play with a guy who has played guitar since he was in high school but doesn't take it seriously. The father, son, and I have played 5 or 6 shows together and can make some decent music together. We're playing a show at a microbrewery in Ft. Wayne on March 2 with a keyboard player and rhythm guitar player. It's gonna be fun whether we sound any good or not, but what I've been hearing in rehearsals has sounded pretty good.

NYFLY I'm playing a Gretsch 9230 Boxcar Squareneck that isn't a bad instrument. It wasn't until I played a couple of those Beards over the weekend that I heard the difference. I'll have a Beard someday. But I gotta get better than this Gretsch before I deserve one of those.

Playing music with these guys has added a whole new dimension to my life. One that I enjoy greatly. It's also introduced me to a world of music that is going on right now that is just fantastic. Some bands for anyone who's interested to check out. Railroad Earth, Trampled By Turtles, 'Lil Smokies, Infamous Stringdusters, Billy Strings, Mandolin Orange.....The list goes on. Tyler Childers is another one. They're all on YouTube. Check them out and let me know what you think.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 am 

A squareneck,eh?I could never get used to laying a guitar in my lap.The Reso rocket is HEAVY.Its a nickel plated brass body.Due to pain in my shoulders from a couple of herniated discs in my neck I was not able to play it more than 10 mins at a time,the injuries to my left hand made it more painful.So I gave it to my sons.I was always more of an electric slide player,hadnt owned an accoustic guitar since the late 70's,aside from the dobro.I just bought a D'Angelico archtop accoustic last summer and have made great strides in re-learning with my now crooked hand,lol.When I played in bands,it was mostly blues,boogie,blues and southern rock types.Although the last gigging band was classic rock in the 90's.My sons are incredible players,my older son being freakishly talented.He came home with a banjo kit when he was 17.He went to the basement to assemble it and an hour later he was picking away like he'd been playing for years.I used to go see him play an open mike at a bar when he was 15,I'd hear him play something and ask "when did you learn that",and he would say "just now".He would have a song down pat,lead breaks and all before he even picked up an ax from just hearing it.I came home one night when he was just in high school,he was watching Guys and Dolls,at the suggestion of a music teacher.Movie was over,he went to his room and I hear him playing songs from the movie.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:21 pm 

Oh to be that talented.. I like the Squareneck. Only have one hand full of fingers to worry about with it. Gotta be careful though so as not to drop the half pound slide bar on your toes. We play some traditional bluegrass songs in our set, along with some modern, or newgrass songs. This time around we're playing a couple of Rolling Stones songs, Lovin Cup and Sweet Virginia. Also playing 4 or 5 originals written by two of the guys in the band. If y'all were closer I'd invite you out to hear us.

Our front man, who is 32 now, just picked up the banjo late last fall. He's made considerable progress and will be playing it on a number of songs in this show. He also plays mandolin and guitars, both acoustic and electric.

Speaking of which, I've got to be off to band practice right now.