Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Here we goagain.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:16 am 

Leaving this afternoon to make the 4 1/2 hour drive to the Brethren, Mi. area to fish for Steelhead on the Manistee river. My friend Turk is going along for his first fly fishing trip. He will also be trying Spey casting for the first time. Back late Wednesday evening. Ihope I have great tales to tell.

Post subject: Re: Here we goagain.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:13 am 

We will all be waiting for the report on the outing....some of us with a tinge of jealousy :)
Bux

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 pm 

All I have to report so far is an easy and uneventful trip to a very nice two bedroom cabin on the banks of bear creek. Bourbon was consumed. Dice game was played. I was the winner in 2 out of 3. Breakfast in the morning at Annie's in Wellston, then meet the guide at the HighBridge access at 7:30. WEATHER IS IDEAL, forecast calls for low 40`s and light rain. That's Steelhead WEATHER baby!! Just swingin flies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:55 pm 

A thought for the future: Skip the trouty-like fishies and chase fish that can earn you the nickname "lefty".

...no...they don't fight like a steelhead...what does?

...but the take will stop your heart...and even a follow will have your heart pounding like a drum...

A friend once described them thus: "They'll make you curl up in the bottom of the boat and cry."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:46 pm 

Back home safe and sound. A great trip with a good friend, good guides, beautiful country, plenty of nature, and even a Steelhead in the net. Day one was low 40's and drizzle to rain all day with just a few short periods of no precip. On the river by 7:30 and fished Highbridge access on downstream. I had never fished this part of the river so it was interesting to see it. We were swinging spey flies all day. I was casting a 13'6" 8wt. rod. Very easy casting and took no time at all to get back into the rhythm of the cast. They call the Steelhead the fish of a thousand casts, which has not been the case for me, but I did put in a bunch of casts before the rod was nearly jerked out of my hand. This was not a subtle take in the least bit. A very strong feisty 7 lb. fish that fought well for nearly 5 minutes before it was netted.
ImageIMG_1426 (2) by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/21587476@N03/]

Day two was not such fun. We travelled to the city of Manistee on the shore of Lake Michigan to meet the guide. We put in at a marina very near the lake on the very end of the river. The weather was 36 degrees, wind of 15-20 mph with gusts to 25-30 and spitting snow. It did no stop us. We motored 6 miles upstream and began moving from spot to spot swinging flies where the wind would let us make a cast. We lasted until noon and called it a half day. I now have a half day of credit with the guide that I will use the next trip. All in all a great trip. Beat the heck out of working for two days.

ps. Easily the most amazing sight of the trip was watching a Great Blue Herron swallow a Smallmouth Bass that was easily 12-13 inches and near a pound and a half. It took him quite a while to work up the courage to finally tip his head up and go for it but it went down. How he got that fish down that long skinny neck is a mystery of nature. Very cool to see.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:11 pm 

Sounds like a great trip, and that's a beautiful fish!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:10 pm 

Lovely fish Satchel. I don't know about the 'thousand casts' thing...we used to say if you didn't get a hit in the first three casts, the fish were not there and you would have to wait for the next run to come through.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 pm 

Yeah that "fish of a thousand casts" stuff is almost as silly as saying muskies are "the fish of 10,000 casts".

I caught 20 last year. I didn't make 200,000 casts.

I know a guy who boated 200 in one season. He didn't make two million casts...