Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Cabin fever.....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:06 am 

NYFLY wrote:
Yeah,FN,thats true,and probably true of most states,get away from the cities.Columbia Co is a bit "flat" for my tastes,but I'm right on the Mass border,one of the trails I take with the hounds takes me across the border.I look off my front porch at the Berkshires,less than a mile away.Its an ideal location,for us.My wife doesnt drive so we are close enough to town that she can walk out the door,make a left and the "town" is about 200 yds away.Its a very small town,makes Mayberry look like a city.If you walk down Main St there are a couple businesses,a diner,a convenience store/gas station a bar and not much more.All the property behind Main St is farms.Lots of wildlife,I had a bear walk thru my yard a couple weeks ago.I often see a pack of coyotes when I walk thru the fields down my road,watched them chase a couple deer one day,passed about 50 yds from us.I have a decent trout stream that passes about 100 yds across the road,but the best fishing in it is about a mile north of me.I am less than an hour from my favorite Catskill creeks.Everybody complains about taxes in NY,but my property taxes are so low,I dont even remember the exact number,less than 2k a year.My car payments are higher than my monthly mortgage/tax payments.Sure,there are a lot of things wrong with NY,but I think the same would be true wherever you live,but for me,I love NY.

You make it sound even better.

There's not a ton of elevation change around here, either, but the outdoor activity opportunities are extensive.

We live about halfway between a town of about 13,000 and one of about 4,000 on a few acres. We have the same critters you do, except we have an invasive species infestation in the form of pheasants that are fun to run the dogs on. Gunner the Swamp Collie found four in a half hour walk out back last night.

Last edited by Further North on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:36 am 

Just got back from a 3 hour walk with the hounds just down the road,about a half mile down I take a dirt farm road up about a 200 ft high hill for another half mile to some huge fields about a mile deep by some 2-3 miles long.Theres a couple tree stands back there that belong to a young guy that works the farm.I saw 2 nice bucks today,one six and one eight pointer within a hundred yards of the stands,on the way back I stopped and told the kid,Nick is his name about the bucks near his stands.He told me he didnt have time to get out archery this year but he was planning on the eight pointer for opening day of rifle.Told me if I wanted to,I could use his stand for archery and get a crack at that buck,but rifle season it was his.What a great neighbor,eh?I never asked him anything about using the land for hunting,let alone his stands,he just offered.The woman that owns that farm told me if I wanted to,I could shoot the coyotes,they never bother her live stock,but she didnt care if they were gone.Said I could sit up in one of her barns,has a great view of the main field,up to 6 hundred yds of clear shooting.I may take her up on it,but I really got no use for a yote.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:56 pm 

Yotes are excellent at pest control...yappy dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:37 pm 

Yes they are Colston.These three do a good job on the deer in the area too.I saw 3 kills along my road last winter.All were picked clean in one night.They dont seem to be a problem with the local live stock.I have a sheep farm over my back fence,he says he's never had a problem with them.He does put the flock inside at night,but I'm sure if they wanted,the coyotes would have no problem eating during the day.The day I saw them chasing the deer it was about 7:30 in the morning.I've often seen them out and about in the day time.I dont see any reason to shoot them if they aint being a nuisance.I only wish the coyotes would do something with the feral cats around here.My neighbor feeds them,so they aint going anywhere.Problem with that is the food she puts out attracts skunks.She's was always saying "did you smell that skunk last night"?I said well if you keep feeding the skunks they wont go away either.She tells me,I dont feed the skunks I feed the cats.Major head slap,I said you should put a sign up that says for cats only.My other neighbor that lives between us had his dog skunked with his head under his shed.He didnt know what to do about it,we're too close to town for a .22 to the head.He said he had a have a heart trap,problem solved.He knocks on my door one morning and says he's got a skunk in the trap,what now? Into the pond out back.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:03 pm 

Coyotes are important for balance.

We've got 'em all over here, yet you'll find a dozen pheasants and buckets of deer sign in out little 8 acre habitat patch out back.

I've zero patience and less respect for the Gomers that suggest we should "Kill 'em all!" and even more so for our wolves.*

Do I want to lose a hunting dog to a wolf...or to a pack o 'yotes? Nope.

...but I've got that covered, for the most part, when we're in the woods.

Balance is freakin' important, and all people do is eff it up.

Yeah, when 'yotes or wolves get out balance on the high side it's a problem. but that only happens when people get in in the middle of things and dick it up, creating a surplus of prey. Around here, if anything, we're predator short.

Does it get the deer hunters who don't like to get more than 100 feet from a path a little wound up? You bet it does.

Do I care? Nope. Scroom.

*NYFLY, no, I don't think you're one of those Gomers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:34 pm 

I'm with you there,FN.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:55 pm 

NYFLY wrote:
I'm with you there,FN.

I'd hoped you'd be...but I was a little concerned I'd overstepped my bounds... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:33 pm 

JD,
I was on "watch" at Stillwater on the knob that overlooked the then Mayor's "love nest" camp. I don't however recall the given name of that stand. It was always a good "watch", because some of the driven deer always took that one run to follow when driven. Bux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:45 pm 

...and, now...we wrench a turn back to the superiority of Stillwater deer hair in making Muddler Minnows. (Just to stay within the fishing topic, you understand.)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 am 

Squire,
When have we ever been herded, fenced in tightly? We all wander hither and yon at will. ;)
It is tradition....It's why we left the boring FF site years ago and started our own.
Bux