Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:20 pm 

I bought some 3/0 worm hooks at the Wal-mart tonight. I tied two flies on them. These hooks were crooked. By that I mean bent off to the side. Do you straighten them? I did. White on the bottom, red in the middle, chartreuse on top. With eyes.. I'll post pictures soon. I also bought some clips that I think will work. I forget what they are called, but they have a double lock and they looked like they should work pretty well. Remember, I'm only fishing 3-4 days, so I probably don't need a dozen flies. Christ, I've already spent 30 dollars and ain't going fishing for 5 more months...lol..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:00 pm 

My thought, worth what you're paying for it, is that 3/0 hooks are too small. When that 40" beast comes up off the bottom of a bay, eats your fly, and you either don't hook up...or she straightens it out...you're gonna be mad. But you'll smile anyway...

This girl here is "only" 38":

...I'd spend the money on the 5/0 Gamakatsu Superline EWGs...but that's me. I'd tell you 'bout the time I had a 50"+ fish straighten one of those, but it'd make you cry...

This made me laugh:

Satchel wrote:
Christ, I've already spent 30 dollars and ain't going fishing for 5 more months...lol..

I spent that much this week too...and it won't be the only week.

...I'll offer one caution: if you hook up with any Esox, even remotely big...or you get a follow from from a 40" + fish and don't hook up...you're screwed. It'll be in your blood til you die. Ask me how I know...

...I've been there since the early 80s....

Last edited by Further North on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:09 am 

FN the picture didn't come through. I'm not terribly worried about it getting in my blood. There's enough things there already. Luckily I'm not near enough to BIG pike water to make it real practical and I ain't giving up on big Brown trout just yet. I can't travel to the places that hold both species more than a time or two a year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:22 pm 

I should have fixed the pic...

...On the "gets in your blood"...

...I used to say that too.

Tell me where you're at, say...June 30th, 2019. If you get a 40" Esox to eat next to the boat... ;)

...just sayin'....

;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:17 am 

So I got the spool of Surflon 20lb. nylon coated wired leader material and began working with it last night. First I grabbed some 12lb mono and tried my first Alberto knot. This is a relatively easy knot to tie and works very well with the two vastly different materials. I left about 4 ft. of the 12 lb attached and cut the wire to about 18". After tying up 3 of these I decided to try tying the Surflon to the #3 double locking clips I got to attach the flies to the wire. I tried a couple of different things to attach them and decided to try the method mentioned of twisting the wire together and applying heat to melt the nylon coating together on the twisted section. I've gotta say I think that is the way to go. I twisted the wire together and held a Bic lighter under it. It melted easily and uniformly and seems to be very secure. I tried pulling the melted section apart using pliers on the tag end and it wouldn't budge without really reefing on it at a 90 degree angle. I did this to all three sections I tied with the same result.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:02 pm 

I like your research and testing.

Give it a shot and let us (or just me) know.

Not sure how to quantify this, but...Esox, especially the big girls, do weird shi!t. Don't trust anything you've not tested yourself and have faith in, unless you're with a guide who is invested in your success and has done the same.

I'm not kidding when I say they eat 3 - 5 lb. trout. I've got pictures of a mid 30s musky with a 3 lb. walleye tail sticking out of its mouth....and still ate a fly...

I can't count the number of times...gear or fly...I thought I had the son's-of-guns figured out only to have them blow me up some way I hadn't thought about...

I had a 50"+ fish straighten out a 5/0 hook once...ate the bait less than three feet from the boat...right freakin' there...knots were good, line was good, leader held...rod, reel...everything worked right...but the moment I felt the hook give up...sigh...she made me smile, but still...

I know I sound overly cautious here...but there's a reason...or three...or maybe seventeen...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:26 am 

I'm at the point now of being pretty well set on what I'm gonna start out with. I'll go with 40#Amnesia to my wire leader. I'll start at about 7 ft. and see how it casts. I've got 3/0 worm hooks and picked up some 5/0 straight shank hooks. I'm keeping the flies simple, primarily chartreuse and white with red. I'll try a couple of other colors too, just for fun., but the guys who were up there last year said that combo was the go to for Pike strikes. I'm not worried about rod or reel or fly lines set-up. I'll post a couple fly pictures at some point.

Thanks for all your shared knowledge. This should be fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:15 pm 

Satchel wrote:
I'm at the point now of being pretty well set on what I'm gonna start out with. I'll go with 40#Amnesia to my wire leader. I'll start at about 7 ft. and see how it casts. I've got 3/0 worm hooks and picked up some 5/0 straight shank hooks. I'm keeping the flies simple, primarily chartreuse and white with red. I'll try a couple of other colors too, just for fun., but the guys who were up there last year said that combo was the go to for Pike strikes. I'm not worried about rod or reel or fly lines set-up. I'll post a couple fly pictures at some point.

Thanks for all your shared knowledge. This should be fun.

I'm smiling in anticipation of your trip!

Tie a couple each of:

1) Solid black
2) Solid Olive
3) Olive top, white bottom.

They can be simple baitfish patterns (I'm a hollow tie fan).

...and at least a couple topwaters.

I'm on sort of a cabin fever tying binge, I'll try to get you some pictures.