Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Upcoming trip
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 pm 

For over a year now a couple friends of mine have been trying to get me to commit to a fly in fishing trip in Ontario this summer. This morning I told them to count me in. After researching a bit I found there are fly fishing opportunities for Brook trout from 2-4 pounds, so that sort of sealed the deal. I'll be the only fly fisherman on the trip so I hope to have a lot of fun at the other folks expense. I'm planning on taking a 5 or 6 wt. for he Brookies and a 7 wt for Pike. The Timberwolf Lodge is where we will be staying. It's on Lake Nagagami.

I'm open to suggestions of flies to start loading up on for this trip. FN you got any killer Pike flies??

Post subject: Re: Upcoming trip
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:40 pm 

I looked up the lake - It looks great. It is a long way from the Ontario lakes I've been to, so the fishery may be different.

What time of year are you going up?

Pike flies aren't complicated, but they can be kinda spendy if you buy into a some of the current buzz on how big they should be.

I have lots of "killer pike flies" but am unsure what will work in that fishery. It looks like at least one lodge up there offers fly fishing, so we should be able to find out what works.

One of the things I did is look at the gear lures I catch pike on consistently, and tried to may fly-fishing versions of them.

My three most effective gear lures - by huge margins - are, in no particular order, #5 Mepps, Strike King Smokin' Rooster (Texas rigged over wire), and the 4 1/2" and 3 3/4" Doctor Spoon. So I focus on flies that are around those sizes. I focus on an 8 wt., so I work hard to come up with flies I can throw with that rod.

Pike are pure predators, so think forage species...from what I can see, that's going to be walleye, perch, and whitefish...so colors that get close to those would be part of my plan, but don't discount just plain white, yellow, black...or the all time killer, red and white.

If you've got the inclination, get Barry Reynolds' two books on fly fishing for pike. They are easy, enjoyable reads and full of good information. Any of Reynolds' patters are winners.

Pike on the Fly

Mastering Pike on the Fly

I've been tying a baitfish pattern on an EWG hook that is very nearly weedess:

...and their bigger brothers:

The red/chartreuse/white pattern is a killer, and a flat out theft of Rapala's "Clown" clor scheme.

I use only synthetics in these to stop them from soaking up water, and I tie them as sparse as possible. There's not much shank to tie to so it forces me to do that, which makes for a better 8 wt. fly.

Here are the hooks:

The red hook is an Gamakatsu EWG "superline" hook, the one next to is something I tried with a sightly longer shank and didn't care for...CRS the name, but I can check. Both are 5/0. Starting on the other side of the ruler are Trokar hooks in 6/0, 7/0 and 8/0. The Trokar hooks are beasts, and sharp. I like them a lot, but wish they were red...

Topwater...big poppers and sliders. I stick to foam as I don't care for all the work that goes into tying, and maintaining deer hair versions. Love the craftsmanship...but...that's not for me.

My favorite popper/slider heads are the "Double Barrel" heads: Double Barrel popper heads. I've tied some monsters, but have decided there's little benefit in that. and have been shortening them up.

I am also learning to love these: Howitzer Baitfish Popper Heads

If' I could convince you to bump up to an 8 wt. for pike, I'd feel better. Not because we can't land pike on a 7 wt., but because the flies are big, and be heavy with natural materials and are often air resistant. Tossing pike flies of any size at all is going to get tiring in a hurry.

Good news: Casting for pike is not a distance game, so don't sweat that. I always have rods rigged for both surface and subsurface presentations, ready to go for when I get a follow and no bite - get the other fly in the water pronto!

Lines I recommend without hesitation: SA Titan floating line, Rio Single Handed Spey in top water and 3D. There are plenty of other options, but I did try the RIo Pike/Musky lines and wasn't impressed. You don't need long tapered leaders...there's no finesse in getting the attention of the apex predator in a lake...they turn towards big splash downs...but you will need wire. I like Tyger Leader and Surflon tieable. Tie in a clip. Join your wire to your leader with either an Alberto knot, or better yet, an FG knot.

Oh yeah: Work on your double haul. You'll need it.

I'm sure I've forgotten something...I'll come back and add it when I think of it.

...and here's this, to get your heart thumping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbhrQu ... nd29ic2nIU

Grab a beer, a glass of wine or a whatever trips your trigger, settle in and watch. It's worth the 50+ minutes...trust me.

...and give this some thought: There are pike up there that eat 2 - 4 pound brookies... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:59 pm 

You probably saw this already...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHpNCa7KRNU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:33 pm 

Red, White, Chartreus. Exactly what I was thinking. I can take the 8 wt. Not a big deal, other than my 8 wt, is actually a 10' 9 1/2 wt. The rod is light so casting it isn't that big a deal. I've used it on three or four trips to the White river in Arkansas throwing a big mouse at night. That was casting 45-55 ft with one false cast. This pike thing ain't gonna be that taxing. What I'm interested in is where you get your knotable wire? Otherwise I'll just be tying on a standard steel leader like I would use with a spinner or spoon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 pm 

This Titan floating line rocks: https://www.sierratradingpost.com/scien ... s~d~132%2F

I've got it in 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 wt. It'll zip a popper, or a diver, or about anything you want on the top, or just below, to 70 ft. without a lotta effort as long as your double haul is decent. Not great...decent.

Here's another great pike line: https://www.sierratradingpost.com/rio-i ... s~d~132%2F

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:20 pm 

Satchel wrote:
Red, White, Chartreus. Exactly what I was thinking. I can take the 8 wt. Not a big deal, other than my 8 wt, is actually a 10' 9 1/2 wt. The rod is light so casting it isn't that big a deal. I've used it on three or four trips to the White river in Arkansas throwing a big mouse at night. That was casting 45-55 ft with one false cast. This pike thing ain't gonna be that taxing. What I'm interested in is where you get your knotable wire? Otherwise I'll just be tying on a standard steel leader like I would use with a spinner or spoon.

That rod will work great. I'm a little jealous...

Tyger Leader:
https://www.tygerleader.com/
https://www.feather-craft.com/tyger-wire

If you want to really have some fun, get hold of some Knot-2-Kinky leader material. I love it, but it's not for the faint of heart as the knots look awful, but will hold forever....and there's nothing out there that'll tunr over a fly better, it's like a spring...again, don't waste your $$$ on anything over 25#, and practice your leader to tippet knot a lot before you go up. Albright, ot Alberto only with this leader, FG will not work.

...otherwise the Surflon is all over the place. Go for the coated, multi-strand. You don't need 50# wire. 25$ - 30# is fine, as long as your knots don't suck.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/AFW-Sur ... 317773.uts
https://www.cabelas.com/product/AFW-Sur ... s?slotId=0

You'd probably guess this, but: Wet your line and the wire before tying the knot or you're gonna get little piggy tails...

For topwater, I use 4 - 6 feet of 50$ Maxima green to about 18" of wire. Varies by rod, and how you cast, start long and tune to what you like. On a couple rods dedicated to poppers I step down with co-poly line (Lake Forks) from ~30#, to about 20#, to about 12#, then wire...but I've got 6 8 wt's inthe boat any given day and can afford absurd refinement of options. Canadian Pike won't need any of that...

Subsurface, I run a similar set-up: 4 - 6 feet of 50# Seguar Saltwater leader to the wire tippet.

Last edited by Further North on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 am 

That Tyger wire looks like the stuff. Do you knot it, or use that twist melt know they show where you use a light to melt the nylon coating together? Also, are you tying on each fly or have you gone to a swivel or fly clip attached to the end of the Tyger wire?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:21 pm 

I knot it. No way I'm trusting melted coatings for a possible 20#+ fish.

FG or Alberto to the leader; Perfection loop at the business end. Mostly to a clip (Mustad Fastach, but sometimes right to the fly.

When are you going up? It'll have an impact on how you need to fish.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:07 pm 

I'm going up the 10-15 of June.

I got to checking around and found AFW American Fishing Wire leader material.30ft. of 20lb test for $9. Describe it as the same thing as the Tyger. Have you ever used a swivel to attach to the fly? Just wondering about twist with the larger flies.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:08 pm 

Your timing should be good, big girls should still be shallow.

I have, used a swivel, but only subsurface.

Mustad offers the Fastach clip with a swivel.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Mustad_ ... -KVFS.html

Give them a try. Only clip I've ever used that I've never had a failure with. And no springy stuff that splits your nails or pokes your fingers.

I'm trying Tactical Anglers Power Clips now, but haven't fished them yet.