Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:46 pm 

Like two wingsuit guys base jumping into a moving airplane? Take a look;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL9sNrOlK-I

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:17 pm 

Would have been easier to get on at the landing field.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:05 pm 

I saw that on the new last night and I looked at my son and said "How stupid was the first guy that jumped off of a cliff with a suit on that made him look like a squirrel?".

Funny thing is, if one of them guys hits the side of a mountain at 100 MPH and dies, he's a fricking hero who had a tragic accident.
To me he's an idiot that jumped off a cliff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:36 pm 

Red Bull? Explains a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:46 pm 

No dumber than going over Niagara Falls in barrel, folks have been trying to do that for a hundred years. That said, the rotating meat slicer on front of the plane would be a concern to me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:11 pm 

There will always be those who "push the envelope" to challenge no one but themselves. I'll speak from the subject of one who chose to do that...just for challenging myself. I decided to parachute, solo, from a single engine Cessna just to prove something to myself....no one else, just me. The Saturday chosen was so windy that that all such efforts were cancelled. Stayed over in a boarding house and went out the next day. It so happened that that Sunday was our little daughter's very first Mother's Day. Clueless was I.

I made the solo jump, and, all full of myself, drove home, Massachusetts to New York....only to be greeted by my icy, sullen wife who felt that I was a total donkey...and certainly not any sort of a role model father for others.

I did two more such jumps in the following weeks just to prove it wasn't a one-of-kind heroic gesture (it really was, but, I'll never admit it.) I got even for my Uncle not cutting me loose to go to Bragg...but I realize that not everyone understands... such is are the penalties of undisciplined life.

Bux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:15 pm 

ColoradoNative wrote:
I saw that on the new last night and I looked at my son and said "How stupid was the first guy that jumped off of a cliff with a suit on that made him look like a squirrel?".

Funny thing is, if one of them guys hits the side of a mountain at 100 MPH and dies, he's a fricking hero who had a tragic accident.
To me he's an idiot that jumped off a cliff.

If you look around, there's a video out there of one of these folks who hit a bridge support at speed. I believe they picked him up with a sponge and spoon.

...people should do what they want, as long as they don't expect the rest of us to pick up costs of their choices...and they don't hurt anyone doing it...