Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hurrying to try to mend
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:44 am 

With rods to finish and flies to tie I have been very busy. At the moment I have three custom display rods to get done that will be raffled off at different events to raise money. These have to be something a bit special in design and execution with custom touches not seen in production rods. Then there are rods I make for Casting for Recovery and a couple of other like programs that require more attention to detail with special weaves and wraps identifying the special needs of these programs.

However, I am a bit worried. This last Thursday morning early I was up with the dogs outside while they did their morning routine. I was on my deck and turned, not having a clue I was standing on a solid sheet of ice. Feet flew up and I crashed rather hard. Hit the back of my head forcefully on the wood deck stunning me for a moment but luckily not going unconscious. Since then I have developed heavy pain in my lower right neck, shoulder and deltoid. Lower back is having spasms at odd times. Scheduled Tuesday for more exams and maybe MRI. I think I have some serious deep bruising on my back, upper and lower as I hit on those areas. Both of my hands hit hard on the backs of them and they are bruised and scratched and the arthritis is worse. Doing wraps on rods, fancy wood work on handles and reel seats, etc, etc, could be difficult enough to disrupt my schedule.

Sometimes I just HATE getting old but I'm too damn stubborn to give up. No more #32 parachutes though. Smallest I'll tie now are 24's and not many of them. I like living near lakes that require sturdier gear, larger flies to catch bigger fish that on rare occasion honor me with a nibble..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:24 am 

Sorry to hear of your troubles Charlie. Hang in there. Even old bodies mend, it just seems to take forever.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:24 am 

Sorry to hear about this. Hang in there Charlie!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:35 am 

Charlie,
Take your time to recover...don't push it...easy does it. You will mend, but as we age the mending, even of minor knocks and dents takes longer. Unfortunately, we still are as impatient as we were when youngsters and tend to push ourselves as before.
The rods will wait and the recipients will understand. Remember, the important thing is to get back to normal so that your regular activities, and their physical requirements, fully return. I know that dealing and coping with such temporary infirmities is a bitch....be patient, all will heal and you'll be wiser and fit once more.
The good news is that you aren't lowering your standards....think "Damn the torpedoes! Moderate speed ahead."

Cheers, Bux

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:49 am 

Sorry 'bout that. I took a similar ice tumble a few years ago and was smart enough to raise my head and elbows so they didn't hit. Got a wretched hip pointer out of it tho that took quite a while to go away.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:29 am 

Truly sad to hear about this. I hope you don't have diabetes which could thwart any effort to heal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:21 pm 

Take your time healing and listen to the Dr.'s

Hipper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:57 pm 

Yes. Don't hurry a damn thing.

John

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:22 pm 

Geeze Charlie! I sure didn't need another reminder of the increasing risks of old age :shock: .

P.S. Get well soon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:59 pm 

Charlie, you're in my prayers.