Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Oxtail Soup
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 pm 

Oh lawdy....was in my butcher's shop the other day and he had an oxtail. Made a stew today, 5 lbs oxtail, 2 leaks chopped, one onion, one potato, carrots, celery, chopped pablano pepper, ginger, curry, garlic, all spice, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, worcetshire sauce, cumin, and water, tomato puree, and Herbs de Provence....Heaven.

Post subject: Re: Oxtail Soup
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:24 pm 

How long did it take to cook it?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:45 am 

We ate some at 5 hours, let it cook 4 more on low. It'll be better tonight. Takes a long time though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:29 am 

We always had calves for fattening and butchering when I was growing up.
There were certain parts that my dad always gave away, mostly internal organs (except the liver). Along with that, we never ate the tongue or tail, the neighbor got them.

Dad said he ate his share of that stuff during the depression, and as long as he wasn't starving he'd never eat it again. So I never had the chance to try that when it was available to us.
I might try tail, but I'm with Dad, I'll never eat tongue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:45 pm 

Because it has so much bone, you get a very rich flavor. You hace to cook it a long time to break the collagen down, but its full of flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:15 pm 

I really like Oxtail Soup. I have been experimenting with an Instant Pot on them and several other items and I am extremely pleased with the results. I used many of the same ingredients as you, however I really have a dislike of curry, thus it was eliminated. I cooked under pressure for four hours and then at a low simmer for four hours. The results were super, full of flavor, and passed muster with several friends who were invited over.

My daughter presented me with the pot at Christmas. Since then I’ve been regularly using it to cook for my wife and me and at other times for up to 8. Chicken Soup was a super hit as was Beef Barley soup. Beef Short Ribs, served with Cheesy Polental, was some of the best i’ve had, at home or a good restaurants.

I would highly recommend the Instant Pot to anyone. It’s not only a pressure cooker. It can sauté, simmer, steam and boil. I cooked 4 artichokes to perfect doneness in 23 minutes. I have yet to try anything that wasn’t excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:29 am 

Oxtail with rice and peas is one of my favorites.

Tom