Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lawd, I'm all swole up..
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:26 pm 

Last evening my wife, the Lovely Missus, told me that my brother and his wife and our daughters would be at our house this evening for supper and I was supposed to cook. I asked what she wanted and she said I hadn't made potato soup all winter. So I did. I'll say it's the best tater soup I've ever made for sure, and maybe the best I've ever eaten. I can't remember any better anyway. I won't force a recipe on ya'll but I'll say I made a double batch and the first two ingredients were a whole stick of butter and two large onions. There was also a quart of heavy cream in there somewhere. I don't believe in "reduced fat, light, half and half, or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter"...If I'm putting the time in I'm using the good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 pm 

Sounds good...feel free to post the recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:23 am 

4 potatos
1/2 stick butter
1 large onion
1 cup shredded carrots
2 cloves garlic
1can (14 oz. chicken broth
1 pint heavy cream
1 cup shredded cheddar

Peel and cube potatos and boil as usual, or you can choose to bake them with the skins on and cube after baking.
Melt the butter, add the garlic, lightly caramelize the onion, add the shredded carrots part way through the caramelization process to soften them up nicely. Add the chicken broth and cream and bring to a light boil. Season with basil, thyme, oregano, parsley, salt, pepper, all to suit your taste. Add the potatos and shortly before serving add the cheese slowly and stir in. More cheese on top when served if desired.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:33 am 

For some reason I imagine adding some bacon to that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:21 pm 

Opps, left out one ingredient. Hamm cubes. About 12 ounces f small ham cubes dumped in on the onions and carrots once the carrots start getting soft. Bacon would work, but I like ham.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm 

Thanks.

Grilled, spicy, Italian sausage would ramp that up a little.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:33 pm 

Thanks Satchel, I'm saving that recipe. I'll think about you as they're carting me off in the ambulance! :o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:40 am 

Looks good, my friend! I'll have to give that a try.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:04 pm 

It's true, I did it again. My oldest daughter has been after me for a while to do one of her favorite dishes so tonight I made shrimp and sausage alfredo with angel hair pasta. I'll list the ingredients, but I don't measure anything when I make this kind of stuff so if there's a measurement listed it's estimated.

1 lb raw, peeled, deveined shrimp with tails off. I used 20-30 ct. per pound.
1 package ( I think it's 12 or 14 oz) beef smoked sausage
1 package baby Portobello mushrooms
1 pt. heavy cream
2 oz cream cheese
1 pt milk
4oz shredded parmesean cheese
4 oz shredded mozerella cheese
4 cloves garlic
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup butter
secret ingredient to taste. I'll tell you what that is in a bit.

Melt butter with olive oil in deep skillet, simmer garlic until soft. Add sausage, then mushrooms after sausage has a good start. When the mushrooms are softened add shrimp, thawed per instructions. Don't over cook the shrimp. It shouldn't take more than 4-5 minutes. Add cream, cream cheese, then milk allowing each ingredient to get hot before adding next ingredient. While stirring add the shredded cheeses slowly allowing each to melt and blend in completely before adding more. When the last cheese has blended completely it's ready to serve.

Boil pasta per instructions. I used angel hair this evening which only takes 4-5 minutes. drain and plate, then ladle the alfredo over it.

The secret ingredient is Louisiana Fish Fry Company Cajun Seasoning. This is the best cajun seasoning I've found and I've tried them all. I used to be able to find it at Wal-Mart but not anymore. They list it on their website, but it's outrageously expensinve. I went online and order it from the company. Best stuff in the world and I use it onl a lot of the dishes I prepare. I order 4 half pound shakers of it at a time. Try it, you'll like it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:19 am 

I have that same potato soup recipe, except I add crumbled bacon and chives on when serving. I'm only allowed to make that one once a year due to the butter and cream.

I have a healthy one that I make quite a bit (no butter and milk instead of cream). It's very edible and actually pretty good, but your right, it don't hold a candle to the good recipe ;)