Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Start of season 2018
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:26 am 

It’s Bull Trout time on Lake Billy Chinook about 1 1/2 hours north of my home. The lake dams three main rivers, the Metolious, the Deschutes and the Crooked. All three arms that feed into the lake have Bulls, however, the Metolious arm has the most. I’m hoping weather will cooperate so we can get up there safely.

The season on the Metolious arm opened yesterday. You have to purchase a Warm Springs pass to fish on tribal lands and the Metolious arm is in that area. A year’s pass is $32 and can be purchased on the internet. This also allows access to parts of the Deschutes River below the dam. You can also buy daily, etc, passes.

This year I made a change. Instead of using one of my 6 weight rods I’m going with a 9’ 8 weight matched with a Rio Outbound Short In Touch line with intermediate running line and type 6 sinking head. Matched with a 6-7 ft 12-15 pound test leader and a #1 to 2/0 minnow pattern we’re hoping to get some hits.

It will be cold! Probably ranging from 20’s to high 30’s in the first half of the month and gradually getting up to 60 by the end of the month. I would be happy to see it stay cold longer because once the surface water temp reaches 60 the fish go too deep to catch with fly gear. But while they are in reach it can be scary good. I’m hoping to get some bigger ones this year. They have been known to grow into the 20’s 30’s and more but those are really rare. Last year I had a difficult time handling the fish with my 6 wt rod, even those bulls in the 20” range. They fight deep and hard.

I’m going to get out there more often this year and look for places similar to those we’ve been catching fish. There’s lots of really steep shore lines (chimney lava) that are unproductive. The best places seem to be where there is about a 30 to 45 degree slope into the water. Fishing just out a good cast from shore, casting in very close and then a strip retrieve with pauses to let the fly remain in the productive area is the way to go. I might mention that the water is very clear and it’s a hoot to hook one and watch it below you in 20-30 feet of water.

When I get out, hopefully this coming week, I’ll take pictures and try to post them on the board.

Post subject: Re: Start of season 2018
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:19 am 

You're going to love that Rio Outbound Short if your casting style is anything like mine.

I have one on an 8 wt. that has become my go-to rod/line for everything from bass to musky if I am going subsurface.
I have another on a 10 wt. that I use for the bigger musky flies.

My next experiment is with a Rio Single Handed Spey line, on an 8 wt., the folks on videos I've watched make zinging a roll cast out there without much effort look easy, and I want to learn that. I just need the water to soften up...

Have fun on your trip - sounds like a blast!