Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Good deal on a CGR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:39 pm 

I placed an order to Cabela's for some components. The shipping was something like $8 or so, but they offered free shipping with an order of $50 or more, so I looked around in the bargain basement and found a 7'0 5wt cgr for IIRC $35 in the Bargain Cave which put me over $50 so I ordered it and got it today. I figure I've got $27 in the rod minus the shipping; it's good looking and slow, made in China and not very heavy in the hand. Like I need another rod. It's no distance queen in my hands but throws a pretty good line.

It's OD green, three piece.

Post subject: Re: Good deal on a CGR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:06 pm 

As long as you use it and like it, that's all that matters.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:17 am 

Distance is over-rated, particularly for trout. Enjoy the rod.

I've had a few Cabela's rods, still have...I think...three L-Techs in 8, 9, and 10 wt. All have been effective and great values.

My third biggest musky on a fly - a fat 42" - was on the 8 wt. L-Tech.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:41 pm 

Gene,

One of my favorite fly rods is the Cabelas CZN. It is a 4-piece, 10 foot, #3/#4 weight. It does just about anything I want it to do and it is the best "high-stick" nymphing rod I've ever had. Tumbled over some rubble two years back and broke it...Cabela's replaced it, no questioned asked. Methinks that too often we get swept away with the ads and the big-mame testimonials when we buy our gear.* I got this one at a GOTC. I think it was Brad Morgan's donation....best bid I ever cast. (Pun intended)
Bux

*My first good baseball mitt was signed by Bobby Doerr (Red Sox)....I still muffed grounders.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:48 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
Methinks that too often we get swept away with the ads and the big-name testimonials when we buy our gear.

Absolutely. If you want to see this magnified several orders of magnitude, wander around some of the bass forums...

Best I've seen was when questioning why so many gear guys cast right handed, then switch the rod to the left hand so they can reel right handed.

"Jimmy Joe Jim Bob, 9,000 time national champion on the mosquito tour does that and wins tournaments, so it's gotta be best!"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:12 pm 

I'm glad you are still enjoying the CZN, Ed. It was an OK fit with my fishing at best, not as good as the Cabela's Stowaway rods that were my favorites. I see the CZN is now selling for $199. I didn't pay anywhere near that, but it makes your bid look like an even bigger winner.

Brad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:03 pm 

Brad,

I did do a single, simple, "modification" to the rod. I lined the guides perfectly...then added small, gold "registration dots" on both sides of every joint....that eliminated the tedious eye-balling of the three joints.
I don't recall ever having a problem with that rod....that couldn't be placed upon the clown holding it.

It did take the biggest brook trout I'd ever caught...I'm sure it was a stocked "old timer" from the hatchery. It was very fat and I'd guess 6 pounds....it fought like a water-filled boot. I feared the rod would break but it didn't. But I used the hand-over-hand capture to protect the rod.

That fish ate Fred Bridge's IPW so it was a triple-play occasion.

Bux

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:56 pm 

Further North wrote:
Buxtehude wrote:
Methinks that too often we get swept away with the ads and the big-name testimonials when we buy our gear.

Absolutely. If you want to see this magnified several orders of magnitude, wander around some of the bass forums...

Best I've seen was when questioning why so many gear guys cast right handed, then switch the rod to the left hand so they can reel right handed.

"Jimmy Joe Jim Bob, 9,000 time national champion on the mosquito tour does that and wins tournaments, so it's gotta be best!"

I switch hands because that's how I learned to do it. Used to be, most reels came right-hand wind so you could take up line quickly (if you were RH) for a fish running toward you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:35 pm 

Buxtehude wrote:
Brad,

I did do a single, simple, "modification" to the rod. I lined the guides perfectly...then added small, gold "registration dots" on both sides of every joint....that eliminated the tedious eye-balling of the three joints.

Bux

I've done that on every rod I've bought that didn't already have the marks...

...and I've never been able to figure out why any rod tat cost over $19.95 on late night TV would not have the marks...

All my TFOs have the marks...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:42 pm 

Gene L wrote:
Further North wrote:
Buxtehude wrote:

I switch hands because that's how I learned to do it. Used to be, most reels came right-hand wind so you could take up line quickly (if you were RH) for a fish running toward you.

...and that makes perfect sense...no one is going to break the habit of a lifetime just because there's new product out there.

...but in this instance, I'm talking about folks that have such complete, unthinking allegiance to Jimmy Joe Jim Bob and his 9000 wins on the Harmless Midge That Looks Like A Mosquito Tour that they are beyond rational thought to try doing things in a way that might actually benefit them. If Billy Joe Jim Bob does it, it's gotta be the right way!

Lots of these folks fish harder than we do, pick up a rod, 4, 5 times a week...and still insist the best way is the way Billy Joe Jim Bob does it, 'cuz he done won hisself a buncha tournaments...