Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 2nd best fly
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:27 pm 

If that other fly is the best fly ever, I would have to put this one at 2nd best (and only because I have never fished that other one, but have this one.)

Some of you may remember a fellow by the name of Mark Ollinger that used to post rather sparingly on that "other' board. He and a fellow named Ken Smith, both a couple of Air Force guys from North Dakota. In some conversations I had with Mark, he turned me onto a fly called the P Quad. It got it's name because all four of the materials started with a P that were used to tie the fly.

It has been dynamite in the lakes that I have used it in. It is not a difficult tie unless you are an old geezer with the shakes and half blind like I am these days.
https://www.flyfishing.co.uk/fly-tying- ... -quad.html
anyway, there is the link to the tie with a picture and I hope that works.

A couple little known books on tying lake flies are Effective Lake Flies by Mike Andreasen and Allan Ryther and also Productive Stillwater Flies by Mike Andreasen and Dennis Brakke.

Post subject: Re: 2nd best fly
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:35 pm 

2nd best...of anything, qualified over a wide audience, is often best, by a significant margin.

Years ago, when we were getting married...I called all the prominent DJs* in the area and asked each of them, as part of the process, who the 2nd best DJ in the area was. THat's the guy I hired.

Best choice, hands down.

*Only way to go. Some of the audience wanted polkas, some wanted rock 'n' roll, some wanted stuff in-between. Only one way to make 'em all happy and polka band with "a selection of Simon and Garfunkel tunes" wasn't it...

Post subject: Re: 2nd best fly
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:37 pm 

I think I remember Ken Smith...didn't he fish old bamboo rods and vintage reels exclusively? A good guy.