Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Atlanta Fly Fishing show
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:10 pm 

Nielson and I went to the show today, which is north of Atlanta. LOTS of people there, lots of booths, and some booths had lots of components. Saw my first HMH TRV, the tier said it was awesome. I bought an amber pheasant tail and a tool caddie.

BOATS...lots of boats. They've come a long way for inflatables and hard glass. The usual rods, for which I have no need. Some good casting demos, some of those guys can really put some line out. With accuracy.

Maybe I'm getting old and jaded, but the fact is, I didn't run up on anything that blew my skirt up. (Note to myself: don't wear a skirt to a fly fishing show again.)

I was encouraged by the number of people attending and the several exhibitors outside of the area. One was from Ithaca, NY. Or was it Utica, NY? Some pretty good looking capes and a lot of talented tiers. Didn't see anyone notable, but didn't stop too long to watch the casting. I wish I could roll cast, but I can't. Given my unsuccessful late trysts, I'd hope to see an aquarium so at least I could remember what a fish looked like, but there wasn't one on site.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:29 pm 

Gene wrote:

"Given my unsuccessful late trysts, I'd hope to see an aquarium so at least I could remember what a fish looked like, but there wasn't one on site.

Gene,

If you would simply relax, and stop dwelling on your unsuccessful late trysts....it would allow you to walk more naturally....and, fewer people would avoid you.

Bux

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:58 pm 

Bux, you have no poetry in your wizened crabbed literate soul. God bless you but you'll never rise above Edgar Guest level of fine literature.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:58 pm 

Wish you had stopped by the NGTO booth, I was manning it most of the day.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:22 pm 

I had my NGTO hat on and met the president when signing in, but didn't see the booth. My loss.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:16 pm 

The unfamiliar group of Georgia trout fishers noted as hosting the Trout Fishing Show caused me to look them up. Here is their "hot tip" for catching more trout:

https://www.reference.com/sports-active ... rQuestions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:00 pm 

Well, it is a Georgia group. Be kind.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:52 pm 

Uncle Jesse wrote:
Wish you had stopped by the NGTO booth, I was manning it most of the day.

We were kind of back in the corner, adjacent to the Project Healing Waters booth. There was a "theatre" set up behind up, I know Dave Whitlock was doing a presentation there early in the day. I think the "fly shop" display was in the SW corner, we were in the NW corner.

Marc Tullis, the NGTO pres. is a good guy fished with his wife from a Gheenoe on the Hooch a lot before work (construction manager) started keeping him out of town a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:08 pm 

I saw the PHW booth, spoke briefly with them. I was around lunch time and several exhibitors were chowing down. Maybe you were getting some grub at the time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:00 pm 

Sorry I missed you guys, I would have like to have seen you again and met Jim.