Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: history of GOTC?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:19 pm 

There is a difference. With GOTC, the members are older and lie more about themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:19 pm 

Doug G wrote:
Greg, my wife asked me if there was any difference between internet dating and GOTC.

Not much of a difference. One very striking similarity is the difference between a person's profile and the reality when you meet them. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:42 pm 

I met two of the crowd before I attended the GOTC in 2015 but for obvious reasons, I didn't know Gilmore from Buxtehude prior to joining.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:12 pm 

I suspect I have done more Online Dating work than the rest of you combined. I was apparently about as good at it as I used to be at fly fishing. Which is to say, not very good. I got skunked a lot before I caught what appeared to be a good one at the time. That was fun, but didn't last. (I've been told by women I have dated via online sites that it is rare to have such a relationship last past 9 months.) I got totally skunked the second time around until I got lucky over a year ago and caught one I have no intent to release.

Trust me, this board is similar to online dating only in that the members often bear no physical resemblance to their avatar pictures. I'm proof of that. So was the online date who said her picture was taken in 2016 when it certainly wasn't taken in this century.

I think most of the people who have found this board have found it useful and entertaining, and genuinely enjoy the company of the people they have met here. Online dating sites are almost the direct opposite.

Brad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:34 pm 

When it comes to women, I adopt the Rodeo rules...eight seconds and I dismount. Unless I'm thrown before then.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:42 pm 

Gene you actually mean Norfolk Ho-lady rules for drunk sailors.."About three knots, sailor...you're not hard, you're not in and you're not getting your money back.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:46 pm 

Oldfrat wrote:
Trust me, this board is similar to online dating only in that the members often bear no physical resemblance to their avatar pictures. I'm proof of that.

Wait...you don't look like Groucho? Man...now I'm bummed. The idea of Groucho driving a 928 made me smile a lot...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:21 am 

I'm 72, bald with grey fringe and beard, walk with a cane, and wish I could lose some weight. Weren't you there at the Colorado GOTC or is that just another example of my current memory? ;)

Brad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:15 am 

Oldfrat wrote:
I suspect I have done more Online Dating work than the rest of you combined. I was apparently about as good at it as I used to be at fly fishing. Which is to say, not very good. I got skunked a lot before I caught what appeared to be a good one at the time. That was fun, but didn't last. (I've been told by women I have dated via online sites that it is rare to have such a relationship last past 9 months.) I got totally skunked the second time around until I got lucky over a year ago and caught one I have no intent to release.

Trust me, this board is similar to online dating only in that the members often bear no physical resemblance to their avatar pictures. I'm proof of that. So was the online date who said her picture was taken in 2016 when it certainly wasn't taken in this century.

I think most of the people who have found this board have found it useful and entertaining, and genuinely enjoy the company of the people they have met here. Online dating sites are almost the direct opposite.

Brad

You are correct, I have not experience with online dating. But you clearly don't remember Colston's original avatar. I was anticipating a younger, more physically imposing man.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:27 pm 

Bux once accused me of throwing rocks at him in 1948, but that was a flight of fancy on his part. I first met Bux, Doug, James Moore and Dan Sears (Danoinark) at the Sowbug Festival in 2003. Hilarity ensued.

John