Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:09 am 

Beautiful rod. Well done sir!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:38 am 

That's a great looking rod, Brian. Makes me proud to have one of your earlier efforts.
Were you trying to fish the White this past Tuesday? I was on the Norfork and White in all that wind, and only caught one trout all day, wading above Wildcat. Not only that, but the wind blew my mojo hat away down-river, and I couldn't catch up with it. Fortunately, fishing picked up later in the week.

Cheers!
John

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:23 am 

John,

By Tuesday, I was back in Missouri fishing on the Current. The bad weather that was coming in made me run north as the weather forecast was looking better up there.

Tuesday turned out to be a nice day there. It was warm with no rain. Lots of caddis flies and olives were coming off during the mix of clouds and sun. Monday was a real stinker of a day....cold and wet. Wednesday was cooler with lots and lots of wind.

I fished below Baptist and was amazed by how much the river had changed due to the spring flood. There were a couple spots that I did not recognize. It sure dug out a lot of holes. There was a long stretch that I sometimes fished that is now too deep to wade. There are a lot of cut banks with downed trees in them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:56 am 

Brian,
That's fascinating and thanks for the info. I can see how a combination of length and diameter at the ferrule or some designated point could give you an idea of what to expect from a rod. Length and rod wt could also do the same. Of course, you'd have to be familiar with a few rods and their designations to be able to make that relationship. I guess compound tapers would also throw it off but then I don't know how many rods do have multiple tapers. Jim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:55 am 

Jim,

That's pretty much correct.

Without casting a rod, or maybe before casting a rod, a person can get somewhat of an idea of what a rod is by looking at the length, the size of the ferrule(s), and an eyeball look at the taper of the rod, with the last 15 inches or so being very important. The thickness at the tip top can be telling too.

That's just sort of a roundabout way I look at rods. Of course my preconceived notion may be quite wrong after picking up the rod and throwing a line with it. ;)