Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:01 pm 

Here’s some of that fine print, taken directly from the Special Weather Statement issued to we Charlotteans Tuesday morning:

The cold weather will likely result in high demand for electricity across the region. Power outages may result from the heavy electrical load. Those who require electricity for heating or medical equipment should consider having backup heat or electrical sources available.
Take steps now to protect your property and health from the extreme cold. If you go outside, wear several layers of loose fitting, lightweight, warm clothing rather than one layer of heavy clothing. Mittens are warmer than gloves. Wear a hat and cover your mouth with a scarf.
It is imperative that parents make sure children returning to school this week are prepared for the prolonged cold, especially if they will be outside waiting at bus stops in the mornings.
If driving, keep your gas tank near full to avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines. Check your antifreeze and windshield washer fluid levels. Be sure to carry a fully charged cell phone.
While at home, consider allowing indoor plumbing fixtures to drip to permit water to trickle through pipes and inhibit freezing.
Use caution with space heaters in order to avoid fire or injury. If emergency generators will be used, they must be situated outdoors in well-ventilated areas to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Remember to check in on family, friends and elderly neighbors who might be susceptible to the cold. Do not forget about your pets. Make sure they have a source of water that will not freeze and a warm place to take shelter from the wind and cold.
Henny Penny, the sky is falling in North Carolina !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 pm 

I would add another warning base on my experience today in my apartment which really has trouble staying warm when the temperatures drop to the low 20s and below:

If you have a colonoscopy scheduled and need to undergo prep, unless your home is extremely warm reschedule. Cold toiilet seats are a bear.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:31 am 

Squire, I feel your pain. I hope everything comes out all right.

John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:00 am 

The nurse called and said I would see the pokemon at 2. I don't think that means I'm going to Jamaica.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:55 pm 

Pokemon is from Japan...