Gathering of the Clan

A Gathering of Fly Fishermen
It is currently Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I got told!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:16 pm 

Yesterday Mary wanted to go back to the area where she caught her first fish. We hadn't even finished gearing up when another vehicle came down the track and onto the gravel bar. The guy was polite and said he would be going upstream and did that bother us. I told him "No" because we were going to work the run in front of us and then move to the big hole downstream. He headed off upstream and we started working the run when another SUV turned up and just sat there for a couple of minutes. I figured it was another fisherman (or two) and they were discussing where to go now. Well, the vehicle turned down the gravel bar and drove to the end. I ambled out of the water and walked toward them. A young man in a hoodie got out of the passenger side and a middle aged chubby guy came around from the driver's side and opened the back. I called "Good Morning" and shortened the distance between us. At about 25 feet, I asked, "Are you planning on a bit of fishing?" The older man said 'Yes, that's the plan" I then said, "I'd appreciate it if you didn't 'jump' us. We are going to go down there to finish the day." The older man then forcefully closed the back of the truck and headed back inside. I turned around and started back to the hole. I could hear the truck pull up alongside me. When I turned the old man said "Why don't you go back where you came from!"

When I told Mary about it she was concerned "What a hurtful thing to say." I laughed and said, "The guy is an liberal! Why should I let anything he says bother me?"

Mary did hook three while I hooked 6 and landed three.

Post subject: Re: I got told!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:55 pm 

Fella needs to learn a pure Americanism: "Ah, f*ck 'em."

Post subject: Re: I got told!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:38 pm 

Exactly where did he think "...back where you came from" is?

I had a guy jump in below me once, on a river in the Driftless...he experienced a sudden and unexplained "hatch" of things drifting down-river. Branches, riverside weeds...one decent sized log...it was really interesting to witness a natural phenomena like that occur spontaneously.

It apparently had quite an impact on his fishing. We saw him at the parking place later and while we reported considerable success, he said he'd struggled to catch anything.